USB on my computer is messed up

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jeff Merr, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

I purchased this off Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...item=5789642746 and was told that i wouldnt need drivers, windows XP should have them already. Well i get it and plug it into my computer, and it says that it has found new hardware, so the window pops up, then it asks me where to search for drivers. Which is not what it should be doing, it should just install the hardware on its own. Anyways, i tell it to look over the internet and on the drivers CD(for windows 98 only) that it came with. It does some searching and then says that it cannot find the drivers to install the device. So im stuck, when i try to open any software that came with the disc it says "Device not connected!" ...i tried deleting all of the devices installed under USB in Device Manager and then restarting to have windows recognize and re-install them, but now its even worse, now i have NO USB, when i start up my computer i get like 7 pop ups asking me to find the driver for new hardware. this is what it looks like right now

[​IMG]

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

service pack 2.

4. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

I have service pack 2 installed, windows XP is up to date. I have my motherboard drivers installed, but even if i didnt, windows has a default USB driver that should be installing my ports. Its really weird

5. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

oh and the device that is in question is a thumb drive MP3 player

6. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member