USB not reconized

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Flaxer, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Flaxer

Flaxer New Member

Alright so my mom has an older laptop HP ze4900

She has had it for about 4 years now and no problems until a few days ago when no matter what she plugs into the USB port it says that it has malfunctioned. Now when I go into the device manager the drivers are there... no big fat question marks... Also I went onto HP's website and there are no drivers for the USB ports... I also went in to the USB Root Hub and turned off the auto disable to save power feature.. Still nothing... I know it's not the device that is being plugged in, because I have tested them on my laptop...

Anyone else have any other suggestions? I don't think there is, but my Mom doesn't believe me that 2 USB ports would go out at the same time....:naughty:

so any help?

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Well it's not only an issue of whether the two physical case ports could go out or not.
    It's also an issue that the motherboard side of it could have failed, which does happen unfortunately.
    If so, you might be able to add a usb adapter to the laptop.

3. Flaxer

Flaxer New Member

Yah I have told her this, the thing about adding a USB adapter is that it will plug into the PCMCIA slot and it is being used by her Verizon Wireless card so she is screwed there... I am updating her windows right now hoping that might fix the problem, but I doubt it will....

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Probably not.

The only other thing I could think of is to get the usb adapter, and use one of the ports to plug in a usb network card.

:dunno:

5. Flaxer

Flaxer New Member

I say throw the laptop away lol