usb microcontroller programming

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mace, Apr 22, 2007.

1. mace

mace i don't read

What I want to do is take a n64 controller and make it usb compatible so I can use it as a gamepad. The n64 controller has 3 wires that correspond to 3.5v of power, data, and the ground. In order to turn it into a usb gamepad I would need to solder those three wires into a pcb with resistors, some other components, and a microcontroller that is programmed to relay the data from the n64 controller to a pc through a usb connection. From there I could write a driver that can talk to the controller and interpret the data.

I think this is how it should be done, but I have no idea where to get started. Does anyone know of any good books on doing this sort of thing? Working and programming microcontrollers and using the usb specification.

I know there are adaptors you can buy, but I was just wondering how I could do it myself.

2. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

usb has a D+ and D- so you will need some sort of converter to do that. after that is taken care of i have no idea what sort of signals the n64 controller uses. on top of that usb has a whole protocol of idles and other data signals that constantly need to be sent to to the pc so it would be pretty challenging dude, gl.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

cheaper/easier to simply buy the adaptor.

4. mace

mace i don't read

Well I found this schematic, but I'm not sure where to go with it. The usb controller this guy shows is very hard to find because it's a little outdated.

[​IMG]
    http://www.zen35383.zen.co.uk/stnield/

And yes I know there are adapters out there, but I just want to do this to learn about microcontrollers and usb.

5. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

what dont you understand here? hes got the chips premade that interface with the usb. hes also got the drivers for the pc already written. you dont understand how this would all hook up electrically?

6. mace

mace i don't read

I don't know what chip/programmer to get that would do the job because the chip he has listed is no where to be found.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

8. mace

mace i don't read

That chip doesn't look to be the exact part number, but it would probably do. I would still need a way to program it using a hardware device called a programmer. The link this guy posts to show how to do so isn't available anymore.

I'll have to hunt around to see if I can find something that will work.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Fry's Electronics sells programers, and you can find them online, easily.

You don't seem up to this.

10. mace

mace i don't read