usb kit's not working?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by D1G1T4L, Jan 23, 2007.

1. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

So i have a usb kit with a hdd inside..... i plug in through usb 2.0 and it turns on but i dont see anything in windows (not even that sound windows makes when it detects a new device)
    I tried it on different computers (and yes i did go to control panel/admin tools/computer management/disk management)

When i take out the hdd from usb kit and plug it in directly through ide, it works....

Is it possible that usb kit stopped working? (i mean it still turns on, lights and everything)

I am a bit confused....someone please help me out =)

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

What jumper settings are you using on the drive? Master usually works but sometimes Cable Select will.

3. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

i think cable select

the thing is it worked before.... i used it for 2 years now...... i turned it on a day ago and it started making weird sounds and windows didnt detect it

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Oh, weird sounds and hard drives don't go together very well. Its probably toast.

5. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

the hard drive works fine though.... when i connect it through the ide cable

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Then it could be the USB adaptor inside the enclosure is shot. Does the enclosure have a fan? Is that what's making the noise? In any event, back up the hard drive at least until you can be absolutely sure it's still okay. Run Seagate's SeaTools software on it while it's plugged into the IDE cable.