USB Headunit

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by boujo, May 8, 2008.

1. boujo

boujo I'm Smarter Then You

Does anyone know if an ipod or a zune or a cheaper MP3 player would work with a USB headunit.

You can plug in a flash drive and read the music right form that can the headunit find the MP3s on any device with or without the appropriate software?

I ass because I am in the market for a new headunit that will work well with my Zune and if I can utilize a USB port to play and charge that seems damn near perfect.

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

The player would have to act as a mass storage device, which I dont believe is the case for a lot of MP3 players.

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

do some research, i think there are some zune controlling HUs these days

4. tjamz

tjamz New Member

Alpine & Pioneer make Zune controlling units.

Clarion DXZ585USB is capable of controlling an Ipod from it's front panel USB port.

5. samb0nie

samb0nie New Member

Yea as stated before it'll read as a mass storage device. I have been lookin into that lately as well. I was going to tell you that if you were trying to use your zune, pluggin it into an aux port would be easier to use by flippin through songs on your zune. But I reread your post and you had the same idea as me of charging while playing. I did read a review that the zune worked really nice with the usb input, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. Once I find out which HU it was I'll post back here

6. mojito

mojito New Member

unlimited choices for ipods :o

7. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

Alpine's iPod controllers will read mass storage devices, however, it was a LOT slower accessing than from an iPod and wouldn't display folders. just get a cheap refurb iPod to keep in your car, and sync it with iTunes :dunno:

8. Sean Connery

Sean Connery New Member

A lot of head units don't have enough power to run a portable hard drive, only a flash drive. You could get one with a front aux in and plug your zune in with a 3.5mm cord and it would work better.

9. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Then you have to switch songs on the Zune while driving (not safe IMO) and there is a chance that the SQ will drop quite a bit.

I'd say get a 4gb flash drive. I keep my 4 gig nano in my truck and I dont have a problem with not being able to carry enough music.