USB Hardrive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by boujo, Aug 2, 2006.

1. boujo

boujo I'm Smarter Then You

Here we go.

I have a 40GB, Hitachi laptop hard drive which I have been running in a USB enclosure. Just to save files, music nothing too big.

My computer no longer recognizes it. It does show up under disk management as an EISA configuration and a primary drive.

It also exists in disk manager after I unplug it from the computer. I am not worried about the info on it so if I have to format again I will but any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Strange...the EISA/Primary combination makes it sound like you didn't reformat the hard drive in the first place, after you removed it from your old laptop, because the EISA partition is usually where the laptop stores its emergency-recovery info. Delete all the partitions on the drive, create a new partition that takes up the maximum available space, and format it in FAT32 format. (NTFS format will slow the drive down a bit, and it restricts the drive's usage to Windows NT/2K/XP computers only. No point using it here.)

3. boujo

boujo I'm Smarter Then You

Thanks for the info, I clearly remember formatting the drive but I will make sure to do so again.

4. deusexaethera

Formatting isn't enough. You need to use Computer Management to delete all of the partitions on the drive first, and then make a new partition. Formatting only clears out the data inside a partition, it doesn't remove the partition itself.

5. Schproda

Schproda New Member

And for one undocumented thing, make the partition a little off whatever size it is now.

6. deusexaethera

Why?

7. Schproda

Schproda New Member

It's just a preference of mine since learning to install Linux years ago. With Mandrake if you reloaded with the same partition sizes it would screw up almost immediately. I don't know if there's any real benefit to doing that with Windows but that's just me.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no point to doing that.

Make sure you disable write caching on the disk. that can lead to failures in removable drives.

9. johnson

johnson New Member

Got into computer management and cant delete the EISA partition. Do I need third party software?

10. fr00t

fr00t New Member

You could try diskpart. Open up a command prompt and type "diskpart". Type "delete" to.... delete!

11. deusexaethera

Did you delete all the other partitions and volumes, too? If your hard drive has an extended partition on it, the extended partition HAS to be deleted before anything else.