USB Ethernet Adapter

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Indy Jones, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Indy Jones

Indy Jones SURPRISE!

When my ISP came and installed my cable internet they did it through a USB adapter from linksys because I think they were too lazy to look for the drivers for my network card. Windows XP automatically detected the card before since it was running through the usb adapter, but it never worked with just the network card. So I uninstalled the default driver for the card and ran the 'Add Hardware' wizard hoping it would ask me for a disk or point to a location where the drivers were, but it just installed the default driver again. I don't want it running through a USB adapter since it lags the shit out of my computer (I have a slow comp), and I just want it to process on the network card. Any suggestions?

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Make/model of network card?

3. Indy Jones

Indy Jones SURPRISE!

HP EN1207D-TX PCI 10/100

4. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

if you know where teh drivers are, do this...go into device manager...steps in case you dont know how

right click my computer (start menu or desktop) go to properties, hit hardware tab, hit device manager button...when you see your NIC card listed, double click on it and hit the drivers tab, then press update drivers, select first one, hit next, then uncheck all but specify location, and hit browse, specify dir and hit next, and you should be good to go...

5. Indy Jones

Indy Jones SURPRISE!

Tried that and it doesn't recognize the driver. I tried clicking on update driver after that and then selecting the manual install option and directed it to driver, but it still won't connect through the card.

6. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

did the driver install proplerly though??

if it is, you need to unhook the USB , plug in ethernet, and powercycle the modem (leave it off for 1 min, plug it back in, after cable ligth becomes solid, reboot machine)

let me know what happens

7. Indy Jones

Indy Jones SURPRISE!

Still doesn't want to connect. The computer does recognize that it is connected into the network card, it just doesn't recognize that it's connected through the OS. The three main lights I have on my modem are: Power, Cable, and PC. The cable and power are lit green, but the PC isn't. Also in the back of the PC, the green LED on the network card is lit up too.

8. Indy Jones

Indy Jones SURPRISE!

After talking to my ISP tech support and going through every troubleshooting technique, I've decided that my network card is fucked up. Oh well, that's what I get for buying HP.