USB AC Adaptor to USB Hub

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by J, Jul 11, 2009.

1. J

J Active Member

Would there be any problems in connecting a USB AC Adapter to a 2 port USB Hub to power 2 devices (a cheap iPod dock & a set of USB powered computer speakers)?

I made a thread about a month ago about figuring out how to frankenstein a stereo amp into the dock. Time & my lack of any useful skills or knowledge in fucking with circuit boards were huge red flags, so I came up with this whole new scheme :rofl::hs:

2. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

Does the voltage output of the AC adapter match the power requirements of the USB hub? Also, with all the cheap iPod gadgets available there isn't a cheap version of what you're trying to do already made? :dunno:

3. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

should work
    but yeah, why not buy a self-powered hub (that already comes with its own power adapter) to begin with
    and as eideteker said,... some already has the ipod dock built-in. less clutter, less hassle

4. J

J Active Member

I thought about getting a self-powered one, but I liked the flexibility of being able to unplug the USB cable from the AC adaptor and plug it into something else. I couldn't find a self-powered one that had that.

5. J

J Active Member

Nope... so I'm using the cheapest working parts possible on top of what I already have :hs:

I'm making a stuffed Hello Kitty/iPod speaker dock (with remote) for my girlfriend's birthday. Honestly, with better planning I probably could have spent a whole lot less on this.

Take a look at the hub... I have no idea what the power requirements are, if any: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817397012

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

Hub is fine

the adapter is what i'm worried about
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812339161

the power adapter of my usb hub, as well as my black berry usb ac adapter, is rated at 500mA output

i think it would still work though, unless your devices require over 450mA
    that's 2.5 Watts vs 2.25 watts at 5V on each port

7. J

J Active Member

My girlfriend uses an iPhone, so I'm guessing that adapter is probably not going to cut it. Thanks for pointing that out.

Everything connected would include a knock-off universal ipod dock, an iPhone, and some cheap computer speakers.

I guess I might just go with a self-powered hub. Will I be alright covering it in polyfill?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  8. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

ipods/iphone need 1A to charge properly. if you have more than just he iphone on the hub (w/ 1a [5w] or less power) the iphone will start doing crazy fast charing/discharching cycles

9. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

If/when this gets done, you know we need pics. :bowdown:

I meant pics of the finished dock, but pics of the GF will suffice. :bigthumb: