USB 2.0 Question (assistance required)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BiggDoggUNC, Aug 2, 2004.

1. BiggDoggUNC

BiggDoggUNC Show me a good loser... and I'll show you a loser.

[hope it's not too stupid]

Well, my case has 2 front USB 2.0 drives, I plug in my iPod and I get some message about Hi-speed USB controllers, and I need to install them. I get my motherboard disk, try to see if there's anything there that can help me with the problem... nada (that I see at least). Then I think, maybe I fucked up when hooking my case's front USBs to the motherboard, I crack open the case... it's not the problem. So I say fuck-it and reach around to plug the USB directly into the back of the case. SAME PROBLEM. Please direct me on the best way to try and attack the problem cause it's late sunday and I can't think of anything. (I went to my motherboard's site, updated my drivers, but didn't see anything else I needed to do)
    By the way I plugged the iPod in via firewire and it works just fine, so hopefully that's not the problem. And I would use the firewire but the only way to charge it through the ac adapter is via firewire and it would be much simpler just to have the usb 2.0 for when I upload shit, and the firewire I can keep with the ac plug for trips and such.

anyways, I'm calling it quits for tonight, so if you need any more info, post it here, but I won't be able to get that for you until tomorrow

thanks in advance...

2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

3. BiggDoggUNC

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Not having an iPod and not knowing, are they USB 2.0? It should still work even though you get that message, just maybe not at the full speed.

I have seen that before on my machine, but I don't remember when, but the device still worked.

It does sound like you're missing the drivers from the mobo, even though you said you didn't find anything...

5. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

Did your iPod come with a driver disk? You might be missing the iPod USB driver. Without it, your computer wouldn't know how to talk to the iPod over the USB connection. This problem is common on older Windows boxes when used with digital camera. The iPod might be too new to have its driver included with XP.

6. BiggDoggUNC

ok, thanks. I did install the ipod software, the device does work, its just rather sluggish transferring large amounts of info compared to the firewire. I'll call my motherboard manufacturer tonight and hopefully I'll get it straightened out. Thanks for everyone's help.

7. Gaylord Focker

Gaylord Focker 8=oOOo=D ~ ~ ~

do you have sp1 installed? for my mobo i couldn't install the usb2 drivers until i installed sp1

8. BiggDoggUNC

I'll try that first.. thanks

(I'm almost certain I have it installed though)

9. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

XP SP1 is required for USB 2.0 support.

10. BiggDoggUNC

well I just hit wall after wall... I install sp1 (turns out I didn't have it), then went to install the 2.0 drivers... the drivers on my disk are only for 98 or ME. :rant:
    I search the web but I must be looking in the wrong places cause I can't find the drivers for XP. If anyone knows a good place to find the drivers, please post links or PM me, my motherboard is an intel d865perl.

11. melybaby12

melybaby12 Guest

I didnt think you had to install the 2.0 drivers after installing SP1. When i built my PC a month ago, i updated to SP1 and didnt have to install any 2.0 drivers, or any USB drivers for that matter. Heres a link to microsoft knowledge base on the issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329632

Hope this helps.

12. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Correct. SP1 has native USB support build in.

13. dietcookie

dietcookie I Like Men