USAPL NJ State Championship PL Meet Report

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Paintballny, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

So.. if you remember my last PL related post I bombed out at the USAPL Northeast Regionals meet. Long story short my squat suit wasn't on all the way and I couldn't hit depth and bombed out.. got pissed and left(big mistake.. should have stayed for the platform time). Anyway.. sunday I competed at the NJ State Championships in Egg Harbor Township, NJ. It was held at Oceanside Wellness and Fitness which is an amazing facility. The owner is a former powerlifter and the gym is stocked with some awesome equipment. Its also a Parisi Speed School training site which is real neat. Anyway if you want to check it out here is a link: www.oceansidesj.com

Now.. onto the meet itself. I weighed in early the night before. Came in at 99.8 kilos (100 kilo/220lb class). Got a good dinner and some decent sleep. Came in bright and early and got situated. The lifts went like this...

Squat -

1st attempt - 457 - went out and crushed it.. bar was high and I was a bit forward but since it was my opener it didn't really matter.

2nd attempt - 479 - bar was high again.. got nice and deep but came forward and lost balence on the ascent.. no lift

3rd attempt - repeat - put the bar where it was supposed to be.. it came up with some effort but when I got all the way up I popped into place and the barwhip caught me off guard.. tried to hold it for the rack call but had to take a step or i'd fall over.. redlights! ugh.. it was in the bag too.. oh well my opener was still a competition PR (5lb).

Bench -

1st attempt - 275 - got redlighted for the bar being a bit low on the chest and some uneven extension.. shirt was a bit jacked and was reset before the next attempt

2nd attempt - repeat - nice smooth lift... good lift!

3rd attempt - 292 - nice descent.. press call took forever.. nice smooth ascent.. got redlighted for the bar sinking into my chest while waiting for the press call..

Deadlift -

1st attempt - 440 - easy opener just to get my total

2nd attempt - 479 - flew off the floor as expected..

3rd attempt - 501 - I had pulled 490 a couple weeks prior so I felt real confident.. got up to it and pulled.. came off the floor quick but my shoulders rounded and the bar came out in front of me.. had to drop it.. oh well.. I know its there.. I just need a little more work and its mine.. if nothing else I'll be pulling 500 in the gym very soon.

Ended up totalling 1212 which was short of my goal (1275 to qualify for collegiate nationals) but thats a huge improvement over my other 3 lift total of 1107 (pa states last year). I am definately happy with my perforance and it was a good confidence booster after bombing out less than a month before. Came in second in my class of 4 lifters (2 bombed out). It was nice to actually do alrite and set some competition PRs out there. I've got a dvd of the meet coming to me so I'm going to be reviewing that with my coach so that I can see what my weak spots are in terms of form and setup.

2. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

was thinking about doing usapl but now donotwant.jpg

3. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Why? If its cause of the strict judging..well.. thats how it is... The new bench rules are pretty strict. They now give all three commands for the bench instead of just start and rack. There can be zero foot movement and the whole foot needs to be on the floor. It used to be that you could just have the side of your foot on the floor but now the foot has to be flat. Oh and ofcourse your ass and head need to stay on the pad during the lift.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  4. TZ

TZ Banned

great job man!!! :bigthumb:

also, just curious but what total do you need to qualify for the 242 and 275 weight classes? (those are the two above 220, right?) And what kind of gear do they allow? It's just one ply right? sorry if i sound like i dont really know what im talking about cuz i dont... :p

5. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Single ply poly gear only. You can find the totals here: http://www.usapowerlifting.com/lifterscorner/qts.shtml

http://www.usapowerlifting.com/

6. TZ

TZ Banned

how much does single ply poly gear help? I know it depends on the lifter , but I'm just curious how much it could potentially help on each lift, poundage wise.

i'm only at a 1090 total right now with a belt only but I weigh around 250...those a gym lifts too though, i know in competition it would be much harder.

7. siniquezu

siniquezu New Member

oh what? Nazis

8. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Yeah... USAPL lifting is very technical. Its mostly due to the IPF since we are their US counterpart.

9. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Its totally up in the air in terms of what you get out of gear. It all depends on how well your gear fits and your experience using the gear. You can easily bomb out of a meet if your gear isn't on right.. trust me.. I've done it.

10. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

The politics of the IPF are about as cool as showering with your dad, but there are some badass lifters in there.

Congrats on the good meet. And to whoever asked: single ply gear can be pretty jacked up these days, it depends on a ton of factors.

11. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Single ply gear is definately getting up there. The new Katanas and Centurion suits from Titan with the proper fit and training can net you an awesome carryover. Oh and as for IPF politics.. I agree..

12. TZ

TZ Banned

:x:...my squat is horrible...385...my bench is 300 and rising

13. Memor

Memor Active Member

Great job man!!!!

14. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Some people get around 150+ out of a shirt

15. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

and some people get 15 out of a shirt, it all depends

16. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Good job on the meet, should have let me know it was so close.

I would have watched, USAPL rules are way too much for me

17. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Thanks bro. Yeah I was gonna post something but I totally forgot to put something up before I left friday. The rules are definately getting to be stricter and stricter. You have to be on the ball all the time.

18. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

way to rebound off a bomb out brother! sounds like you had a good day, now we just need to teach you how to bench!

19. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Thanks bro! Yeah my bench has been my focus for a while. It really blows. My best training shirted bench is only 303.. It kills me too since I give up so much in the bench. I need to be about 80-100lbs heavier in the bench to really be competitive. I'm open to any suggestions in terms of training my bench..

20. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

what is your current bench training?

21. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Mostly 5x5 training at the moment. Training on bench day is usually bench/tri work/lat work.

22. TZ

TZ Banned

did you ever read that charles poliquin article on tnation about the oft-neglected external rotators? :hsd:

23. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

nope.. feel free to post it up along with any other articles you think might be beneficial.

24. TZ

TZ Banned

25. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I'd say its time to switch routines brosef. Get on a 4 day split and get your shoulders, lats, triceps, and chest stronger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.