MIL USAF Security Forces

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by teabagn, Feb 18, 2009.

1. teabagn

teabagn New Member

Can you guys give me a shake down on them, and your honest opinion? Going down to MEPS in 2 weeks and that's what I'm liking as far as jobs go.... That's a pretty open field to get into right?

2. WildBull

WildBull Guest

[y]t2hoToh6wOo[/y]

3. teabagn

teabagn New Member

:bowrofl:

Tu che

4. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

SF depends on where you are, if you go to a missile base your gonna be pulling 5 day tours in the middle of nowhere making sure nobody is messing with nukes, other places you will perform cop jobs, more deployemnts then other AF jobs on average...

5. teabagn

teabagn New Member

Anybody else? The more input the better, even if your not in the AF maybe just post your opinion/experiences with them? All input appreciated.

6. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

They usually have an IQ equivalent to a donut.

7. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

I'm pretty sure most everywhere in the states has contracted security working the gates. I'll still sometimes see SF working the gates but for the majority of the time it's a rent a cop with a gun.

8. teabagn

teabagn New Member

Right on thanks for the comments guys...

How about their duties in Iraq/Afghanistan?

9. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

Where you at? Most of the bases I have been to still have SP's doing the gate thing.

10. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Little Rock has civilians. Deaf civilians, old as dirt civilians, and 400 Lb civilians. I feel safe.

11. burn__

burn__ New Member

i know Moody AFB and Luke AFB have contracted out gate-guarding to civilian companies.

12. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

What are you wanting to do in the military, and why SF?

13. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

Offutt AFB. When I was at Peterson AFB for a couple days they had contracted security also.

14. teabagn

teabagn New Member

I want to come out and get into LE, Security Forces seems like a good fit... I have over 20 college credits so upon completion of basic I would be an E2. Maybe possibly get into investigative stuff, or maybe a working dog handler..

I've though about Army MP but I've loved the Air Force ever since I was a little kid... I wouldn't mind linguist or even PJ (yeah I know that's far fetched).. FireFighter would be cool to since I was a volunteer with the Phoenix FD for a few months... But I gotta see how well I do on the actual ASVAB first... I did rather well on my Pre-ASVAB. But yeah SF just seemed like a good fit and that's what I've been working on getting my degree towards so..

15. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

dog handler isn't good for a career choice if you're looking to do 20. Once you hit E-5 positions get very limited if you want to stick with the dogs. Otherwise you get to go back to usual cop duty. However, the dog handlers I've talked to love it so much that they make pretty pictures for their E-5 exams. another plus is that if you deploy as a dog handler your vehicle will have AC...

16. DJ Cripsen

DJ Cripsen New Member

Go for PJ or CCT.

17. Scroder

Scroder Member

I did it for 7 years on Active Duty at Elmendorf AFB, AK and now I am SF in the Air Guard as an E-6. The first few years suck as a new guy wherever you go. SF no longer work the gates at most bases (contractors) so you don't have to do that anymore.
    I preferred law enforcement so I stayed on that side of SF over security. I have been to suicides, rapes, at least 40 DV's, processed at least 5 DUI's on my own, etc. I have numerous qualifications that meet State of AK law enforcement standards including the Alaska public safety information network,etc.
    They are slowly going away from LE to only security which is why I got out and got a job with the Fed's. SF does offer sniper school and cool stuff like that. Many of my troops deployed to Iraq with Army units and were on .50 cal teams and did convoy missions (two of my SF buddies were killed doing it). They are considered the "army of the air force" because you won't have weekends, holidays, down days, etc off like the majority of the base and do many army-type missions in the sandbox.
    If you want to become an investigator and go through MPI school, security forces is where you start. Its not a bad gig, but seeing what they are turning into now with security everything for the mission, I would look to come in as something else that offers better training for a civilian job later on.

Dave

18. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

don't do it

SF is nothing like LE in the civilian world

19. dave5678

dave5678 New Member

TACP would be cool for him too...

20. teabagn

teabagn New Member

That is some awesome info, thanks alot man! The thing is I kind of like that you said its the "Army of the Air Force" I mean I don't exactly have a desire to go kick down doors and that kind of shit, but convoy security or working security/policing a town wouldn't bother me so much.. And if it came right down to it I wouldn't mind busting down a few doors...

What in the world is that? lol

Remember I'm probably going to do 4-6 of active and then see where I stand... If I LOVE it, I'll stay active, if I like it, I'll go reserve, and if I just want to get out and move on to a civilian career I'm just going to dip out as soon as my contract is up...

21. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

For fun you will draw your weapon on unsuspecting technicians while they are working on aircraft, and will make them spreadeagle on the concrete until you verify that their secure area badge is authentic. Then you will tell them to have a nice day and you will go back to your boring guard shack and try to stay awake for the remainder of your shift.

True story. :squint:

22. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

:rofl:
    That doesn't happen anymore. You're lucky if the cops are even on the flight line.

23. Ranger-AO

Seriously? That doesn't seem very secure to me.

Yeah - I was working on a jet in the middle of a cold-as-fuck winter night. I sent my buddy back to the shop for parts and I decided to sit in the cockpit out of the wind and sleet until he got back. Two minutes later, the security guy shows up and introduces me to the concrete.

I was so fucking pissed... but he was the guy with the weapon. :mamoru:

24. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

In a typical 12 hour day, we might see ONE patrol. I find it humorous. The cops don't guard the gate, they don't really patrol the line, but yet when people park in restricted areas and you call them up to have the car ticketed and towed they say "sorry, we're too busy".

On a semi-related note, at my last base we broke a cop's kneecap. They did a flightline penetration exercise, but failed to inform maintenance that they were going to do one. We saw a guy in civvies on the line, asked to see his line badge, and he took off running. One of my buddies clubbed him across the knees with a 500 lb/ft torque wrench to stop him. They notified us from then on that there was going to be an exercise, and my buddy got a coin from the Wing Commander for exemplary performance in defense of the airfield.

25. Ranger-AO

awesome! :h5: