MIL USAF question....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by PharCyde, Jun 29, 2005.

1. PharCyde

PharCyde New Member

I've always been interested, both my parents, some aunts and uncles served time in it and have some Gparents that were in the army. I planned on finishing college, maybe take ROTC the last 2 years and then see how my future looks to enlist or not.

Well I finished 2 years of school, but went for the wrong reasons I guess you could say. I didn't fail out but pretty damn close, and on top of that I caught a DWI (I fucked up I know, I regret ever doing it and take full responsibilty for it).

I've heard the AF is cutting down, and that a DWI is pretty frowned upon. Are my chances pretty slim? I don't get my full license back til next year. I emailed the local recruiter around here but he never replied :hsd:, I guess that's not a good sign.

Should I even bother... I'd go to Lackland right now if I could.

And I was a Computer Science major, thinking of changing to IT... so I'd like to go into a field dealing with computers/electronics/etc

2. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

DWI is a major strike against you, but not a death blow. You will need to talk to a recruiter to get a 100% yes or no answer.

3. JL

JL Wander-er OT Supporter

talk to a recruiter

4. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

My situation is damn near the EXACT same as his, with the exception that I have a Drag racing or reckless op. ticket coming my way instead of a DUI. What do you guys think? Does the DR/RO ticket kill my chances? I was also thinking of going the ROTC route.

5. PharCyde

PharCyde New Member

:wtc:

Guess I'll just be finishing college first (2 more years) maybe ill have a better chance. Because everything that I have researched so far seems im SOL

6. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

I'm your best source of information on OT regarding Air Force ROTC. I'm a completed cadet(4 years of ROTC done, one semester of school left), and I've gone through all kinds of hell to get where I'm at.

First off... DWI probably screwed you over, although you can get a waiver for just about anything.

Second, if you have below a 2.0 GPA, you won't get in

Third, If you change your major from CS to anything else, you won't get in. They are cutting back hardcore in all Non-tech areas. The ONLY computer field they consider a tech major is computer science. I'm a former CS major who switched to an IT major, and barely avoided being cut - but this was a few years ago.

7. PharCyde

PharCyde New Member

2.08 :o

and their is no way I am sticking to CS, I dreaded going to those classes and hated every minute of it.

8. ManinCamo

Maybe it was 2.5 GPA to get a scholarship of any sort or get accepted, and if you dip below 2.0 you lose it all. I don't remember

yea, doesn't look like you'll get in but try, try again and try harder - ya never know. :hsd:

Oh shit... you're in High Point!?!! You go to HPU ?

You'd be at my detachment -- small world. We just got a new C.O. he seems pretty cool. I will not make any other comments about the cadre though.

PM me, or IM me: ManInCamo

9. PharCyde

PharCyde New Member

hah no shit

I went to ECU for 2 years... I'm going to go to GTCC next semester for a class or 2 then finishing up at UNCG

10. ManinCamo

Hmm, I think you'd be the first GTCC consortium student in the program that I'm aware of. I'm at G, done in December.

Also, realize that you must be a full time student (12 credit hours or more) in order to enroll in ROTC. Also, you'll need to be a 2 year cadet for them to even consider picking you up. (taking the ROTC classes does not mean that you'll get 'contracted')

This is especially true since you're changing your major to a non-tech. If you kept your major as CS you MAY get the items waived, and you MAY get into the 1 year program. Without the CS major, things get more complicated.

11. Hunter Michaels

Hunter Michaels The Real American Gigolo

I was active duty AF and tried to get my friend in who had a DUI. No luck tho, it is possible to get a waiver but he evenetually had to go into the army.

12. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Truth.

My son had a run in with teh law a few years back. Even though he was a minor when it happened and the incident wasn't on his permanent records, the Air Force turned him down but the Army gave him a waiver for it. As it turns out, I think he is liking the Army much more than he would have liked the Air Force.

13. ManinCamo

Oh yea, there is Army ROTC in the same building. Col. Burnette, good guy - he's been in charge there for a long time too. Army ROTC will probably take you, and you can almost name what job you want.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  14. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

IF you can get in, ask to be a 2E2 no way you are getting 3C...

15. spades

spades George P. Burdell II

A DWI and you're done in the AF. Every DWI in the AF basically kills your career especially if you are officer. I had a friend who was an XO for a SES (hand selected from a field of 200 CGO's), CGOQ, SOS DG, ROTC Blue chip. Got a DWI. The next day he was fired as XO. He had to put in his separation papers soon after. He lucked out in that he got picked up as a contractor doing support.
    Very true. If you have an engineering degree they will allow a 2.5

This is also true. The 62E and 61S AFSC's are critically manned (around 50% for CGO's). With the downsizing, the fields they are looking for are the critically manned ones. If you are applying for anything else, then your chances of getting a ROTC scholarship or even getting into OTS greatly diminish.

16. PharCyde

PharCyde New Member

These replies are just FULL of good news :hsugh:

17. ManinCamo

:hs: ... maybe your interests should move toward being an "Army of One" [tm] :hsd:

18. Accord

Accord New Member

I don't think bad credit can disqualify you from joining, but it can certainly disqualify you from certain jobs that require security clearances.

19. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

I am amazed that people are having such hard times with waivers. I had to get a morals waiver for me to join and I got one from both active and reserves.

20. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

My waiver cause of my arrest record