MIL USAF crew - cross training soon, debating jobs

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Eff, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Eff

Eff New Member

So right now I'm flightline MX; we get treated like shit more or less.

I signed up for six, and my window is about to open up (3 years in), so I'm seriously looking at crosstraining into a flight crew position.

I already pay good money to fly as a civilian pilot, so I figure I might as well get paid to tool around in the big upstairs for the Air Force.

Flight Engineer or boomer? That's what I'm debating.
    I prefer tankers (work on KC-10s currently) because they go to all the great bases, Europe, etc. And are directly involved in the missions.

As an FE, I'd be right up front in the business. As a boomer, well, I've been told it's more fun probing jets, but you're pushing around a lot of cargo on the ground as well as being a flight attendant for any PAX.

Anyone in here do any enlisted aircrew jobs or can comment?
    I've heard crew deploy every few months for 2-3 months at a time. Not a huge deal for me. I'm single.

My Other option was the Academy; a couple of Colonels are trying to convince me to go or some shit. But the way I see it, giving up my SrA + halfway decent life in exchange for 4 years of being a scumbag cadet with no freedom is a big step backwards.

TLDR; Halp me croxx into da blooo.

2. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Black Hawk Flight Engineer/Gunner.
    Emphasis on the gunner.

3. Sh4dow5

Sh4dow5 New Member

My buddy who was a DC-10 FE had to basically switch a/c to get onto that airframe....he started on a helo. I also have friends who are boomers and they love it. My boomer friends deploy 2 month out of the year and go to alot of great places...... My loadmaster friends on C-17's love their jobs too.....if I had to cross train out of my job, I would go aircrew as well.

4. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

academy only really sucks freshman year, it just sucks the other 3.....and even so now freshman year is a joke