MIL USAF bumps BMT to 8.5 weeks, adds language education to PME

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SweetDaddyO, Feb 3, 2006.

1. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

2. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Both are positive steps forward in making the AF better equipped to fight on todays battlefield.

3. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

IMO it would be a good follow up step to make the AF structure much like the Marines. Putting leadership roles on lower ranks, and making JNCOs be JNCOs, instead of just E-5s and E-6s

4. brackac

SrA have little to do with leadership in the AF in comparison to the Army and Marine Corps. E5's in the AF barely have any responsibility. In my opinion and based off previous experience with other services the AF is top heavy and afraid to delegate leadership to the appropriate level.

5. brackac

As the AF transistions to a more tactical force the NCO Corps needs to adopt portions of the Army and Marine Corps mentality of NCO leadership, and make E5's and E6's more leaders with technical abilities than just techs alone.

6. brackac

Every service has Aviation units. NCO's would still be in charge of final inspections, training the new troops, and more indepth maintenance, but E5's and E6's would do the role that E7's currently do in the AF. In my unit an E5 is lucky if he supervises/rates one troop, in the Army I supervised/rated a minimum of 5 soldiers at a time and a maximum of 15. By pushing the leadership down to the E5/E6 level it allows the people that are working with the junior enlisted a better understanding of their needs and capabilities, and would further promote the idea of empowerment.

The Air Force increasing tactical training at all levels says a lot about the future of the AF. The NCO Corps needs to become more in touch with the workers so that they are prepared to lead in combat. A E7 that knows little about the troops in his shop will not be prepared to lead that those troops when the bullets are flying. By pushing the leadership roles down to the NCO's that work with the troops day in and day out the AF would be building a NCO Corps better prepared to meet the future combat missions.

I also believe the days of calling your NCO's and Officers by the first name has come and gone in the AF. Discipline starts at the lowest level. If a airman does not have the respect or discipline to call a person by their rank then that airman will not have the discipline or respect to pick up their weapon and go forward into danger when the NCO gives the order.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  7. brackac

:eek3: Not the response I expected from you.

8. brackac

Not completely like the Army. I understand the different role the AF has on the battlefield, would just like to see E5's and E6's be more involved in the leadership process. Currently a AF E5 is basically a Army/Marine Corps E4, and is shows in the lack of professional maturity in the rank.

9. brackac

The main reason for the separation in the Army and Marine Corps is due to their mission. In order to effectively be able to send a person into a situation that may result in their death you need to be unbiased. If a leader becomes involved personally with his subordinates it becomes more difficult to make a decision based on the mission and not on personal feelings. Very few people can separate work from personal time, and fewer people can make unbiased decisions if they have built friendships with people. I am not saying that going out and doing some team building around a keg of beer is bad, but when it crosses the line from team building with everyone to personal relationships then it has become anti-productive to the mission. A strong NCO is involved in his troops life both on and off duty, but you have to be equally involved in all of your troops lives.

10. brackac

I sound like a ALS instructor in this thread. :wtc: :stabmyselfintheeyeballs:

11. brackac

I am currently planning a exorcism to rid me of these demons.

12. Isamu

Isamu New Member

wow, brackac, you have said all that I have been thinking since joining..
    I love the AF don't get me wrong, but the NCOs around here are nothing more then lazier SrA..

13. Jyokker

so that can of worms I opened... anyone care to retrieve the worms?

14. brackac

Every now and then I sound like the NCO I am.

15. Jyokker

And other times you sound like the homeless guy that hangs out at BurgerKing. He has a big belly, and a long white beard so everyone calls him Santa Bum.