USA Grand Prix...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Section8, Jun 27, 2001.

1. Section8

Section8 .

Any of you guys planning on trying to go? I went last year and it was awesome, my first F1 race in person. Nothing like hearing those cars echo off the stadium effect Indy has.

Parking and traffic sucked ass though...

2. ast27

ast27 Guest

I am going, and am getting the 3 day general admission pass. Seats by now are probably really hard to come by. And with general admission, I can get up and move to another part of the track if I so desire.

3. Section8

Section8 .

Yeah, that's what I'm doing this year too. We bought seats last year in the section next to the pagaota on the front straight, but all we could really see was the cars coming down the straight an into turn one.

Make sure you make your way out to where the Teams set up shop. Last year BWM had all their road cars on display, including a Z8, and Mercedes had the '99 F1 Car out to look at. Parking is a bitch though!

4. ast27

ast27 Guest

we're probably flying in (i'd rather not drive 17 hours...), although I am not sure how we are getting to the circuit once we arrive in Indianapolis.

5. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

6. Section8

Section8 .

My brother has an extra ticket, but I think it's spoken for. I really think you'll see more if you just show up and buy general admission. The track is fucking huge. There's a damn 18 hole golf course in the middle of it for cryin' out loud. I'd give you directions to the track, but I was riding with my uncle when we went last year, so i didn't pay much attention.

P.S. If you are planning on going, I'd get hotel reservations NOW. Place was packed last year.

7. CFster

CFster Guest

I just reserved a hotel room about 8 miles from the track - they're still available. Remember that this is a much smaller crowd than there was for the 500 in its heyday. About 200,000 vs. 450,000. The whole city is geared for it - they've been doing it since 1911. There's hotels all over the place.
    As for tickets, they were scalping tickets like crazy last year. I mean they were all over the place - it's legal out there or something.
    I remember we were out there for the 500 in '93 and some guy had a booth set up on Georgetown Ave. with the VISA/Mastercard logo on it - yep your right, he was a scalper!

CF

8. The Bastard

The Bastard Guest

DAMN :big grin:

So is this F1 or CART cuz Section8 said 'nothing like the echo effect of Indy'.. ?? :confused:

I missed the Toronto CART race today partly because I had no one to go with me but I heard it (both through my back yard patio and television) :big grin: I live so close to the CNE fairgrounds it's almost criminal cuz anything happens there I'll hear it (can't see it though cuz of damn oak tree)

9. CFster

CFster Guest

Daayumm!!!

You live that close? I would have lived at that track for the whole weekend. Like from Thursday until Sunday night!

Lucky SOB. I live in Connecticut. All we have near here is Limerock (some good sportscar racing but that's about it nowadays). I have to travel hundreds of miles to see good racing...

10. Section8

Section8 .

It's F1. They came back last year. Tony George had an infield road course built at the track that utilizes turns 1 and 2 of the oval. Check out http://www.usgpindy.com/ for more info on the track. I think when they designed the oval, they originally had plans to build a road course in the middle, but for some reason that escapes me, they didn't go through with it.

11. CFster

CFster Guest

Yeah and the original plans for the F1 circuit actually called for the track to be much bigger and extend OUTSIDE the speedway as well. Much like the same manner that the road course at Louden, NH does. Perhaps Tony is waiting on a return on his investment before he thinks about that. Eh, Bernie Ecclestone will own Indianapolis in a few years anyway...

I wouldn't mind seeing that myself - if you ask me the road course at Indy is well...unimaginative in its current form. They were so concerned about the cars going through the banked turn onto the front stretch that they even ran the cars on the dyno tilted to one side to see if there were any adverse effects. It turned out in practice though that because of the two lame low speed hairpins just before they come out onto the oval that the cars can't build up enough speed at that point for it to really be an issue. Hell they were going through there at the same speed in the rain.

12. Section8

Section8 .

Yeah, I think they could have come up with a better course too, but I'm not gonna complain as long as F1 is in the states. I wish they had joined the new track into the old track before turn 3 instead of after it. That way they'd have more time to build up speed...oh well.