MIL US Vehicle Markings

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Chris90210, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Chris90210

Chris90210 New Member

I am currently working on my offroad rig. It is a jeep 73 cj and I am designing it to look like an old military jeep. I need help with the markings though. I have it painted olive drab and will be working on the star on the hood. What ID numbers should I put on the front bumper? Also other than the front bumper what other places need markings?(I've seen some older willies with markings toward the rear of the body)

2. Chris90210

Chris90210 New Member

I want to put something on there that I know what it means. I wanted to put my friends Battalions number on it but they are in Iraq and I have a shitty memory.:o I will take some better pics later today Only pics I have at the moment are pictures of it stripped.

3. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

Hey a logistics question! :o

All vehicular equipment are marked with a UIC (unit identification code). If you know his unit try googling his unit's RUC code the UIC is just the RUC code of the unit procceeded by the letter "M". UIC markings are black and two inches in height.

We don't use the Jeeps anymore so I'm not sure of the exact markings of them but for HMMWVs the proper placement for the markings are; front and center on the hood above the grill, on the lower body of the side frame centered on the door pillar, and on the rear centered on the tailgate.

For misc. vehicles (which the jeep may have fallen under at the time, not sure) the UIC is on the front, sides, and rear all centered.

4. Chris90210

Chris90210 New Member

[​IMG]

I found this a few min ago

http://www.m38a1.com/Resources/color_markings.htm

5. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

6. Chris90210

Chris90210 New Member

7. RecklessYouth

RecklessYouth godamnlurker

Very cool Jeep you have. Ive often thought of doing something similar. It looks like the drawing you found covers a lot of what your looking for. Only other marking I can think of is above the wheel wells, military vehicles have what the recommended tire pressure is, for example "TP 30". Im not sure if they did that in the older jeeps, Ive seen some with it and some without.

8. Chris90210

Chris90210 New Member

I think I'm going with 4-2R8-A-6 a recon jeep sounds kinda neat :o