MIL US Army Combatives

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Militant, Oct 15, 2007.

1. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

They are doing a few combatives classes on the weekends when we drill.

They where teaching us some basics like passing guard and take downs, nothing crazy.

I know a bit about BJJ and some other martial arts from the few classes ive taken and all the MMA I watch.

My problem with it was how much they left you exposed with alot of their maneuvers, not only that but they added tons of unnecessary steps to achieving something that can be relatively simple like getting side control. I understand it's not meant for competition and more for bringing a guy down and making sure your the only one that stands up but some of the essentials seem like they are missing.

The guy teaching us was a skill level two, seemed knowledgeable, im just not a fan of the art itself

2. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

as a BJJ practitioner myself...the first thing you need to learn when doing Army Combatives that it is not BJJ...it's loosely based off of BJJ...and watered down at that...since there's really not much to getting level I/II certified imo, other then knowing the appropiate drills. My first experience with combatives, I had to quickly get over the fact that the instructor's technique when it came to simple maneuvers was horrible....passing the guard, shrimping, etc...but I had to swallow my pride and press on.

That's my .02, all and all, it's by far the best military h2h system out there...but i highly recommend to anyone who likes Army Combatives and hasn't tried BJJ to do so.

3. I agreed until you said what I bolded. Krav Maga is the best military h2h system out there. I have seen and taken a little army combatives and it seems....like a joke.

4. Drunk Bastard Audio

krav maga = Isreali, we're talking US.

5. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

yeah, what i ended up doing
    at first i was showin the kid i partnered up with how to roll into the side mount by just pushing on their leg, seeing how its what the instructor was trying to teach, except i was skipping like 900 steps and shit, but then i realized i minus whale do that shit and get it over with

6. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

that shits fuckin nutz. my friends roommate trained in that when he lived there (thats where hes from) and when my friend invited him to BJJ practice at the university he said "should i bring a knife?"

7. haha. I do krav when I have time, lately I have not had time. A lot of military/police do it. At my gym, the biggest one on the east coast, they black out the windows when they are training the military/police so no civilians can see.

8. Drunk Bastard Audio

I'll still take the combination of Muay Thai & BJJ over Krav anyday....throw in the complimentary wrestling, judo...and you're good to go.

9. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

that's fine if you have the time.

10. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

hope i can find a good place when i get to MS

11. Drunk Bastard Audio

make time...no excuse!!!

12. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

Canadian Forces use Sambo/Combato or some shit like that. Look it up it's pretty :coold:

13. The thing with Krav is you have to go to a legit place or else its going to suck. I got lucky.

14. Drunk Bastard Audio

hmm...when i'm referring to the above disclipines, i do not have PT in mind.

15. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

id say muay thai embodies that aspect pretty well :dunno:

16. Schadenfreude1

Schadenfreude1 New Member

I always wondered what it would be like to do the US Army combatives in full kit. Kevlar, LBV, full oad of ammo.