A&P Urban exploration v.wtf being harrased

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Hypnos_VI, May 31, 2007.

1. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

so i was bored around 11pm and decided to go for a walk with my camera. im in phoenix, AZ this week, and i remembered there was a park a few blocks down the street. so i head out armed with my 17-40 f/4 and a speedlight. didnt really find anything interesting except a random childrens bike and a cool bench in the middle of nowhere...

anyway...

i got harrased by some drunk locals at a 7/11. kept calling me a tourist and being like "man, looks like you got some expensive shit there... better watch out, this is a bad neighborhood". actually, i used to live around there, lol, its such a nice area that before these guys the only other person i saw was a girl walking her dog by herself at midnight in the park. lol. but as i walk away drinkin my gatorade this one guy starts following saying shit like "take a picture, its last longer...cmon, tourist, take one, now...it will last longer..." then he started yellin something about disnyland. if i was really a tourist...what fuckin tourist attracction and i scoping out at 12:30 at 7/11 on the corner of 7th st and bell rd?!

anyone else ever have a problem with people while either taking night shots, or just exploring new places?

2. FidizzyTypeS

FidizzyTypeS Gimme Dem Scones!! OT Supporter

ive only ever had people just stare.....kinda creepy.

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

use a bag next time :big grin:

4. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

haha all i have on me is my Domke F2 shooters bag...that probably would have drawn more attention. i can only imagine what they would have said if i brought my tripod - it didnt fit on the plane...lol-

5. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

we've been stopped by the cops a few times... but they were pretty cool about it. I was verbally assulted by some crazy lady who was wearing a blue sequened evening dress handing out political flyers when i took her picture.

6. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

all the more reason to go out armed. Those were 'nice' drunks, but some arent so nice sometimes

7. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

people look at me funny when I pull out a tripod but no one has said anything

8. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

Yeah, people usually start to stare so I just look straight at them til they look away. I had this one black kid go "hey, take my picture, Im a model" to look cool in front of his friends so I was like "nah, I only shoot good looking people", I didn't feel like playing along with him. I've never had anyone say anything else but that might be cause I usually don't go shooting alone so it wouldn't be as easy to take my shit.

9. FidizzyTypeS

FidizzyTypeS Gimme Dem Scones!! OT Supporter

how old was he? :rofl:

10. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

If I'm taking a pic of someone on the street I always ask if I can snap a pic ... 99% of the time they will ask why then say yes

11. NJGuy

NJGuy "Fuckmefuckmefuckmefuckmef uckmefuckmefuckmefuckm OT Supporter

Had a couple of well known crackheads staring at me as I walked by them.
    I just maintained eye contact as I approached them. I wasnt going to break 1st.
    Then they shouted the name of the local paper to me as I passed.
    They had to say it 3 times before I realized wtf he meant.
    he was asking if I was a reporter for the local paper.

Nothing to worry about.
    I could have smashed both of them at the same time.
    I worry more about some shit going down and my gear getting broke.

I just ordered some mace that I will be taking with me when I go out shooting now. (cant carry guns in NJ or id have that)
    At least with mace it may help me and my gear escape damage if anything went down.

Sometimes im walking around with a few grand worth of gear.
    That does make one a target.

12. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i usually have my bag with me so noone can see the 3k worth of camera equipment on me. i also have a glock tucked in my belt and no one sees that either

13. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

7th St. and Bell road is not such a good area anymore :o

14. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

really? when i lived here in '04/'05 it wasnt that bad. though i guess things do change.

also

i usually have at least one or two decent size knives on me...but you cant even take a bottle of water on a plane anymore...so i feel naked without them.

15. redna

redna New Member

I live in Phoenix. That's why i carry a handgun.

It doesnt even phase me anymore, I'm used to the assholes that live in this state that think they're gods gift. I think the sun has fried their brain or something.

16. redna

redna New Member

DAWT

17. IHAVECRABS

fucking right youre a target. Any idiot crackhead on the street knows that camera equipment can, and usually is worth some decent cash.

Im in the same boat as you; cant really get a concealed carry permit in MD...so i carry Fox Labs pepper spray and a nice knife. I'm not worried about getting in a fight with a single person or anything...i know i can handle myself if im just going against one person. But the pepper spray is more for like a group of 2 or more attackers trying to jack my stuff. Pepper spray can be damn effective.

I hope you ordered Fox labs :hs: that and sabre 'red' are the only stuff worth buying, really. fox labs and sabre red are both really nice and hot.

18. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

man, looks like when i go exploring im not going out nearly armed enough. if i still lived here in phoenix id have a handgun, but back in MA its a littler harder.

19. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

I'd say 17-18, he was with a bunch of his friends but I was with another 3 guys so I knew he wouldn't start anything (we're 21-25...fuck I feel old now).

20. GMACK24

GMACK24 Active Member

I was in front of Boston Public Library last night some high school kid in a limo leaving his prom yells out the window. ""Pretty Picture""

jerkoff I wish I had something to throw at his cocky ass.

21. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

It sucks people have to be shitty. :sad2:

22. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

thats a good idea about the mace I should invest in that especially exploring abandoned buildings never know who I'll run into :hs:

23. IHAVECRABS

http://www.foxlabs.com/Products.html
    Pepper spray is really cheap insurance; anybody can afford it at $13 a can :dunno: It may not be as effective as a gun, but there are some instances where a gun isnt exactly the best tool for the job either.
    get a fox labs 2 ounce unit with a stream spray and the nylon holster. remember that the only 2 ratings that matter are the SHU ratings and the purity of the actual capsicum. The percentage of OC contained (ie, 2%, 5%, 10%) doesnt really matter, its just the amount of OC contained in the spray. The more pure the capsicum is, the higher the SHU, and the hotter/more effective the spray is. The purity of the OC is what does the work. The worst thing someone can do is go out there thinking all pepper spray is the same and get some off-the-shelf bargain bin shit from the grocery store. Most stuff you see in the grocery store and stuff has around 1.5-2 million SHU's. fox labs has 5.3 million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray

demostrations: This one is a good video since the guy testing it is a navy guy and has been sprayed with pepper spray before as a part of training: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYY4A9tAZLQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lmq_59z6rs

I buy my stuff from here and highly recommend them. Good prices and fast shipping: http://www.defensedevices.com/worhotpepspr.html

/soapbox :hs:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  24. wangatang

wangatang backing it in your mom

:rofl: bell and 7th st ftl

that 7/11 is shady :o

25. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

lol just a minor correction. i drove by it again the day before i left. it was actually bell/9th st. close enought tho. im sure you know exactly where im talking about anyway.