A&P Urban exploration crew v.first time

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by GregFarz78, Apr 2, 2007.

1. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

It was a really clear day this past friday so I decided to take a trip and experiment with my camera a little, I'm learning as I go so these probably arent that exciting :hs: Little background info this was taken at Fricks Lock, PA the town was abandoned in 1968 when PECO generating station came along which eventually became the site of Limerick nuclear power plant, the town was deemed unsafe to live in b/c the power plant is located just across river maybe 1 mile away at most. Theres about 10 houses left and most of those have been vandalized or partially collapsed and unsafe to walk in.

#1 Limerick nuclear power plant
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#8 I have no idea why these were there but I found some wierd shit in an old barn :noes:
    [​IMG]

Taken with a canon xt and the 50mm f1.8 lens, I learned I need a wide angle lens, more memory, a better flash, and most importantly a tripod :hs:

2. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

f1.8 and you felt you needed a tripod? musta been really fucking dark.

a better flash? which of those pictures did you flash? personally i'd stop blaming the equipment and start blaming yourself. not saying you have horrible pictures, but they're lacking pop, and it's not because you didn't have a wide angle lens, 8gigs of memory, 50 slave flashes, and a tripod.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  3. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

The shots outside came out great nice and sharp but yes inside its pretty dark in certain rooms most of the windows are boarded up. The built in flash is giving me trouble I cant seem to get it right it comes out too bright and drowns out the image a little

I'm not blaming the equipment I know they arent exciting but I'm new at this and trying to learn, cant be a pro my first time out :o I appreciate any advice even though it can be a tough crowd here sometimes

4. di3soft

di3soft Guest

not bad i wish i had somethign to explore around my town but its fucken suberbia which sucks, and everything thats abandoned around here is under sevurity control, dixie valey mall abandoned 1970's still to this day you nee to get police promission to take photos, and its an hour and a half way

5. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

i'm just saying dont caught up in the equipment craze of "my pictures aren't coming out great cause i dont have all this equipment". rather than saying, i could have gotten the proper focus here, could have looked for better composition, thought about the background, changed my fstop/iso/shutter in this way for a better exposure, blah blah blah.

6. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

you can probably change your flash settings to a rear flash (shoots the flash as the shutter is closing rather than when it opens) and you can get some different effects.

I can on my Nikon D50

7. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

take all my comments with a grain of salt, i'm by no means a pro, quite the amateur, but those are my thoughts.

8. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Those are good thoughts thanks. I actually liked #1 and #4 the most, really good point about #4 didnt even think of making that crack run 45 degrees across the picture and with #1 I wish the sky had more density that day it was unbelievably clear though not a cloud in the sky just pure blue. The shots were taken around 1-2pm so I'll have to go back sometime in the evening when the sun is setting.

9. austincabot

austincabot New Member

Don't use a flash on interier "urban exploration" shots. Natural light is much more interesting.

#3 could have been really interesting if you would have looked through the doorway and just gotten the heater. Look at the light in the foreground before the heater.

If you can't shoot with a 1.8 aperture in low light, gtfo.

Oh, and keep exploring. For me, thats most of the fun.

10. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I love the exploring part too its creepy being there alone though a door slammed shut at one point and I damn near pissed myself :rofl: found out it was only the wind blowing it around :o Any tips for a noob shooting in low light? I was shooting in manual mode so I kept playing with the aperture and exposure time but it gets hard to hold still the longer the exposure thats why I was considering investing in a tripod.

11. austincabot

austincabot New Member

In manual mode, keep the aperature at a high number (making the aperture wider to let more light in). This allows for quicker shutter speeds. Change the Iso speed as well. I'd probably start at iso 400 and see if I could get a decent shutter speed (Iso speed affects shutter speed - the higher the iso, the lower the shutter speed you can use).

Shutter speeds as slow as 1/20 can be hand held. Even slower depending on how steady your hands are. Just keep taking pictures.

12. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Stop blaming equipment and start post processing.

13. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

Stop PP and shoot it right the first time. :mamoru:

14. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I'm trying to learn how to shoot correctly and avoid post processing unless its a last resort :hs:

15. austincabot

austincabot New Member

I used to feel this way, but even correctly exposed shots can look much, much better with some PP.

16. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

17. Traitor

Traitor New Member

Whats wrong with post processing?

18. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Nothing is wrong with it but I dont want to use it to fix every single pic I take, I don't feel like I'm learning anything from that :dunno: I do understand it has its place but I want to master my camera first then I'll learn how to master photoshop eventually. I'll probably do more harm than good right now b/c I have no idea what I'm doing in photoshop to make a pic look better :o

19. Traitor

Traitor New Member

:dunno: i say learn it from the start. i doubt there is any professional that does not PP