MMA Upsets or Evolution of MMA?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by jag6984, Apr 23, 2007.

1. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

It occurred to me before I fell asleep last night, that all these so called "upsets" lately, aren't really upsets at all. I think fighters are just finally realizing that a really good gameplan with skills will beat just really good skills any day. I noted this on a comment made in PRIDE 33, where one of the announcers quoted Wanderlei saying "He doesn't come with a gameplan, he just trains for everything." Look how that worked out for him.

This is what I'd consider the 3rd or 4th major turning point in MMA. The first ones being that a ground game is necessary (via Royce), conditioning is key (Tito, Frank Shamrock, etc..), and skills in every area (once again Frank, Bas, Fedor, etc..). Note, I'm not a huge Frank fan, but he did introduce a few things.

In the Couture/Sylvia fight, we just saw what Randy does best, a great gameplan and enough skills in all the areas to implement it. He imposed his will on Tim and it worked out really well for him.

Same thing with GSP/Serra, GSP didn't really have a gameplan (and his most recent comments display that he wasn't prepared enough). Serra on the other hand, while he doesn't have the overall athleticism and skillset as GSP, had a much better gameplan and implemented it.

Obviously the same goes with Mirko/GG, Mirko just was relying on his skillset of striking and takedown defense whereas GG specifically trained and had a plan for Mirko's weapons.

I guess all in all, I wasn't suprised at all when I was actually watching these fights. Obviously people have been crying gameplan for awhile, but this is a big wakeup call to everyone IMO.

Thoughts?

2. Kuet

Kuet New Member

agreed. And if memory serves correctly, i often find myself agreeing with you.

3. McClane

McClane Who Killed Marilyn?

I actually had a similar thought recently as well.

As MMA gets bigger and more popular, theres going to be a bigger pool of talent. People who train hard and actually have some skills. The days of UFC1 where half the guys are bar room brawlers with no actual talent are over. Which means people like Sokojdou and GG and whoever else is next are going to bust out of no where and catch reigning superstars, and fans, off guard.

4. Mountain Dude

Mountain Dude Here it comes, and there it goes, another day in d

The same happened with GSP/Hughes. Hughes said he doesn't go in with a gameplan, he just thinks he has the skills to pull out the victory. GSP went in with a plan to stay standing and knock him out.

5. Sammo

Sammo New Member

Yeah, I agree with what you're saying.

I believe MMA is still evolving unlike boxing which has reached the point of being the "sweet science" as it has been for a long time. A lot of fighters still need be well versed in all areas and I think there are going to be new strategies as the years go on...

6. Civil Disobedient

Civil Disobedient "Die Biting The Throat" OT Supporter

Who was it that had it under their av?:

hard work will beat talent everytime, when talent refuses to work hard.

great quote. pretty much dead on accurate.

7. Kuet

Kuet New Member

that was me :naughty:

8. Guz200sx

Guz200sx The man who does more than he is paid for will soo

I totally agree....
    If we even go back to Franklin/Silva and we saw how that went down. Silva's plan dominated Franklin.

Also when KOS fought Diego....Same thing.

I think fighters will definately have to evolve so they know a little bit in everything.

9. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Yea. I will agree that the only real "upset" was Serra. Everyone else had a chance on paper.

Fuckin' Gonzoga though... damn I hate him now.

10. Kuet

Kuet New Member

jesus, i didnt even know it was you for a sec...thought it was some croatian coming in to let us know how disgusted he was....
    hey wait, are you croatian for real?

11. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

"Upset - n - Upset is a term used when referring to a competition, frequently in electoral politics or sports. When an upset occurs, the party popularly expected to win the competition is defeated by an underdog, defying the conventional wisdom."

Randy = Upset
    Soku = Upset
    Serra = Upset
    Gonzaga = Upset

Hopefully this is just a sign of the times, that the sports popularity and growing financial and social status is leading to more interest and deeper talent pools.

I made a similar post in another thread before I saw this one, but to summarize, I think this is a good thing.

12. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Nope, just showing my support for Mirko since there is so much hate for him going around.

13. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Ill remember that, we'll see if your theory holds up.

14. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

I don't know if it is so much the fighters themselves that are getting better, but the teams as a whole are getting better. The coaches are getting better at devising gameplans and finding techniques that work in MMA.

When I actually watched all of the fights in question, I didn't think that it was an upset at all. Well, except Franklin/Silva, that shocked me.