UPS (battery backup) good idea?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mdaniel, Jan 5, 2006.

1. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I was working on someone's computer the other day. Its on a shop floor and there's a compact flourscent light plugged into the same power strip as the computer and monitor. A few feet away there's an electric welder and every time it clicks on, the light goes out for a moment. The computer and monitor do no appear to be affected. Would you get UPS anyway to protect the computer or am I just being overly cautious?

2. Sabrewulf

Sabrewulf New Member

Yea its a good thing to get one. They do sell the ones built into the Power strips now and they are someimes cheaper. I have an APC power strip that has a battery built into it, and it only costed like 30 bucks. They are real good to have when the lights blink, go dim, etc etc.

3. EagerZeroedThick

EagerZeroedThick New Member

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

We put UPSes on all our computers at the office. It provides good surge protection, and a couple minutes to shut down your machine in the case of an outage (which are common at one of our offices).

You can get a little 350W UPS for $50 Canadian these days, so it's well worth it.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I found someone there with enough sense to OK a cheap UPS and I hooked it up today. The other guy (shop floor manager) didn't think the flickering lights were a problem and thought I should just turn the light off if it bothered me. :ugh:

6. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

We have a 1000 at work running both servers and our network stuff. It clicks on and off probably 5 times a day. We have terrible electric service.

I have a 500 at home that I picked up for $15 after rebate.

Worth every penny IMO. It's not worth losing something you're working on, or worse... corrupting your file system, if someone decides to hit a telephone pole in front of your house.