GUN Upper assembly questions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jayhat, Nov 3, 2009.

1. jayhat

jayhat You have the personality of a dead moth.

I have a 223 upper that I am converting to 6.5 grendel. I have stripped the upper completely down and the 6.5 bolt and barrel are on the way. I do have a couple questions about the assembly...

1. Barrel - I have read that you need to put anti seize on the new barrel (where it connects to the reciever) and on the barrel nut. Is there a specific kind I need to use?

2. Gas block - the current block is a set screw mounted one. I really don't want to try and dimple the new barrel (don't have a drill press). So I was going to pickup a "clamp" style one. I would assume the threads would need to be loctited. I know there are several kinds or loctite. Any specific one for this application?

Also are there any other parts that need to have loctite (flash hider, etc)? Anyone have any helpful advice for the assembly process. This is be my first complete upper take down/assembly...
    :wiggle:

Thanks!

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

1. A high-temp copper anti-seize will work well. NAPA should have some for cheap. Whatever you use, make sure it does NOT have graphite.

2. As for the gas block screws, you can lock-tite them with some red lock-tite and they should be fine. If you are going to be shooting a lot I would stake them to make sure they don't move.

Your flash hider should come with a crush washer, crank it down with a 3/4 wrench until it is aligned, it won't come off without a wrench. I'm sure you know, but buy the proper receiver block for installing a barrel, you can really screw up an upper without one.

3. jayhat

jayhat You have the personality of a dead moth.

thanks! No I wont be blasting through a lot of rounds on the grendel, thats what my 5.56 upper is for. I want to use it primarily for hunting... assuming someone will get ammo in at some point :hs:

4. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Locktite Silver Anti Seize for the barrel nutt

5. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Sounds like it's time to get a reloading press :)

6. Keesh

Keesh New Member

That will work, I think it's max temp is around 900F which should be more than enough on a barrel nut. Especially one that won't be seeing too many mag dumps.

7. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

1600F so yea your good to go

8. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter