Upgrading

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by phoenix1105, Sep 24, 2009.

1. phoenix1105

phoenix1105 OT Supporter

So my basic question is from a purely gaming rig point of view, when should I upgrade to vista 64, the new i7 mobos with tri-channel RAM and vid cards, and the cpu. I know I could go all in and buy the absolute top of the line, but I'm not that rich. On the otherhand, I want to stay up and it seems like a lot of new shit has hit the market recently. So give me an idea where I should be at for lets say an above average gaming rig in terms of mobo, cpu ram, OS, and vid cards

And as a tangent thought, I was thinking about going with water cooling... anything new or important to look out for on that front?

And as for anyone following my threads about getting the BSOD, it was a bad stick of RAM...

2. Homeless

Homeless New Member

For strictly gaming, you could get away with a socket 775 3ghz dual core for most of today's games since very few of them utilize more than 2 cores if even that.

Buying i7 is overkill, but not a bad investment imo since prices have dropped dramatically on them. You could get an entire system for around $1k

3. Fase

Fase Your Face, In A Pickle Jar.

I'd go with the i5 750. It's much cheaper and has about equal to and in some cases better performance than the i7s. Not only if the CPU cheaper, but so are the 1156 socket motherboards. You'll get equal performance and save ~$300. The 1156 socket motherboard are also supporting the new generation of i7s, whereas the 1366 socket motherboard only support the old i7s.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3634

4. phoenix1105

phoenix1105 OT Supporter

I looked over the site and it was interesting. What I am kinda wondering is if I go for a mid range i7 lets say, is some new tech going to come out inside of 6-12 months? I know the i5 and i7 are relatively cutting edge, but is anything on the horizon that will elcipse that tech anytime soon.... if that makes any sense.

5. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

According to Intel Retail Edge: No.

WiMAX on laptops are about the coolest thing happening right now besides the ultra thin. Other than that, desktops won't have drastic changes until next fall. With that said, a new branded Intel processor will come out at 32 nanometer technology.

GPU's are close to new generations; however, this next wave isn't anything to get to excited about. My friend who works at Nvidia told me yesterday, "to expect great things at the launch after this" which is also slated to be next fall.

I have a Core i7 920 with D0 stepping, and I was able to push it from 2.66GHz to 3.1GHz with almost no jump in temperature. Just a thought.

6. Fase

The i9s are coming out Q3 next year, but they'll run you $1000. They'll obviously be releasing faster i5s, but as with any technology they're always going to be constantly releasing fast, better, cheaper stuff.

7. Fase

Nothing to get excited about, but expect great things? I assume he's talking Larrabee.