Upgrading to XP64

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Demetrium, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Demetrium

Demetrium New Member

Hey guys, after having an FX-53 for a while I've finallly got my hands on a legit, cheap copy of XP64. I was doing some research online and found out that all of the applications I use are WOW64 compatible, and that my video and audio drivers have 64bit versions as well. The one thing I couldn't find a 64bit version of though was a SATA driver.

For those of you who don't know, when installing XP on a SATA drive, there's an option to hit F5 to install third party SATA drivers. When I initially put this PC together roughly a year ago, I had the disk ready and everything worked great. Half a year later I did a rebuild of XP and didn't have a SATA driver floppy on me, but the install still worked (I figure XP has generic SATA drivers, or at least one compatible with a WD Raptor). So anyway, back to subject of the post; will not having a 64bit version of a SATA driver effect me at all, or create a bottleneck at my system? Has ASUS taken their sweet time not developing one because it just doesn't even matter? I plan to install sometime over the weekend, so let me know what you guys think...any thoughts or advice would be well appreciated. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom. :hugot:

2. dtfromep

dtfromep New Member

I tried XP64 out last fall, and was thinking similarly to yourself - that all the programs I use are compatible. Was I ever wrong.

Just give it a week after you install, there is not enough support out for it just yet. I would stick with XP32 until vista comes out if you are looking for an upgrade.

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Odds are that it's either a promise or silicon image SATA controller, and both of them do have 64 bit drivers out. Which model mobo do you have?

4. Demetrium

Demetrium New Member

The motherboard is an ASUS AV8 Deluxe...its the one with onboard wireless, was basically the first socket939 motherboard on the market when I built this PC back in like June 2004. There's actually four SATA ports on this motherboard, both 2x Promise and 2x VIA, I currently use the VIA and have been the entire time. If you could provide links to said drivers that'd be great...I was browsing on their site earlier (which I despise BTW) and didn't notice anything except RAID drivers. Could just be a user error.

Edit: I think I might be a bit confused. There is a difference between a SATA Raid driver, and the SATA driver supposedly required on a floppy to install Windows, right? I figured the SATA Driver was used if you're setting up a RAID array (which I'm not), where I'm just using one WD Raptor for my OS independantly.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  5. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

6. Demetrium

Demetrium New Member

7. motivez

motivez New Member

The promise drivers do NOT work for installing XP(32 bit) on that motherboard. You have to use the VIA ones by downloading their 7mb file and then creating a floppy with their MakeDisk.exe .. I learned this the hard way not too long ago

It'll find the drivers fine and all, but Windows still won't recognize your HD. I'm not sure if that's true for XP64 or not, but get the VIA drivers, not the promise stuff.

8. ZeusH8sU

ZeusH8sU New Member

Man I tried the xp64 and games could'nt run right and my copy of 64bit Farcry also crashed.Also some of regular apps run slower than before.So I switched back to Xp32.

I think Vista is where everyone is looking to go.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The driver you use to install Windows shouldn't affect the driver that you use afterwards, because the first thing you do after installing is download updates, right? Microsoft will send your computer a better driver if one exists.