A&P Upgrading to a D90 from D40x v. Advice/answers needed please

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by niquesuave06, Jun 15, 2009.

1. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

Upgrading to a D90 from D40x v. no clue what I should buy, sell, or keep

My gf has been trying to finalize some vacation plans for the last ~2 months and the whole time I've been telling myself that I'm going to ditch my D40x and upgrade to a D90 before we go anywhere. The gf finally set a date and now I'm thinking about buying a D90 in the next day or two. . .we're leaving on the 27th of June, so I want to buy the camera soon so I can have a few weeks to play around with it :naughty:

So this is my situation. . . I don't have a grand to drop on a camera right now, so I'm buying it with interest free financing at Best Buy :o I know it probably sounds like a pretty bad idea, but I've made two $2,000 interest-free credit purchases there in the last 2 years and I paid them both off 6+ months before the end of the "interest-free" period. And if I want a new camera before the vacation, I don't have any choice but to get it from Best Buy :hsd:

I currently have the D40x w/ 18-55mm kit lens, which I plan on selling once I get the D90. Any idea of a fair asking price? It's in very good condition, and comes with all original packaging/paperwork. I also have a Tamrom 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 that I definitely want to sell, and a 70-300mm f4-5.6 that I'd possibly want to sell (depending on which camera package I get from Best Buy, and what you guys think) but I have no idea of their values or whether I should even sell the 70-300.

My options on camera packages are:

Basic D90 package with 18-105mm VR lens for ~$1235+tax

or

D90, 18-105mm VR, 55-200mm VR, and an extra battery for $1479+tax

Now I need OTAP to advise me on what package to buy and whether or not I should keep the 70-300, and hopefully give me an idea on market value of my D40x and Tamron 28-80 :x:

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  2. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

The 55-200 is junk and you probably dont need the extra battery.

Even if youve got the non-VR 70-300 (which Im assuming you do), keep the 70-300, save yourself $244+tax, and have a longer available range to cover.

P.S.
    I dont know how much you should sell the D40x for. Sorry. I also dont know how much the Tamron should sell for but I would definitely recommend selling it. I hated only having 28mm as my minimum on a crop body.

3. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

Buy D90 body + Tamron 17-50 f2.8 + Sigma HSM 70-200 f2.8

If you insist on a superzoom, the Nikon 18-135/18-200 are pretty sharp by f5.6 throughout their range.

4. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

:bowdown:

Just the type of input I was hoping for. But just FYI, the 70-300 is a Tamron and its f4-5.6 so its nothing special, but it does give me quite a bit of extra range. I've actually never been able to really give that lens a good testing though because it won't AF on my D40x, so I've always had to manually focus the damn thing :hs: I don't mind manually focusing my 50mm because I got used to manually focusing the 50mm on my Nikkormat FT2, but focusing at 300mm is a whole different story.

I think with the better ISO performance on the D90 the 70-300mm f4-5.6 won't be so bad handheld in low-ish light conditions, and with the 18-105 VR and 50 1.8 I should have a decent, inexpensive collection of lenses for now. I also have a screw-on fisheye/macro "filter" that I picked up off CL for $20 that will let me get a little wider at the expense of image quality.

Thanks for the input :wavey:

5. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I can't buy just the D90 body, because Best Buy will only sell the D90 with at least the 18-105mm kit lens :hs: If I had the cash right now, I'd definitely be buying at least the D90 body and Sigma 70-200. . .unfortunately I'm going to have to put this one on credit for the time being, or take the D40x and ONE AF-S lens I have on vacation. . .Every time I hand my girlfriend the camera I have to change to the 18-55mm AF-S lens, because she lacks the patience/ability to manually focus the other lenses. And then I have to put it on auto :wtc:

6. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

Adamlewis, are there any P&S's in the ~$200 price range that you'd recommend? I think I might buy my gf something to distract her from the D90...

7. Snowballer

Snowballer - Blissfully Insane -

I have the D90 and love it. If you have a few extra bucks, pick up the nifty fifty. :)

8. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I completely disagree...the 55-200 VR is not a piece of junk and is a great lens. The 70-300 Tamron he has is probably a larger pile of crap.

I'd see if you can sell that Tamron and get the 2nd package you listed.

9. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I just said 'fuck it' and bought the D90 bundle that came with the 18-105, 55-200, and an extra battery :o I saw a lot of conflicting opinions on the 55-200 so I decided to get it for now and test/compare it with the Tamron 70-300. If it's a pos I'll take it back. I got the gf a SD560, it was kind of a blind purchase but I'm hoping it's decent. I'll test everything out tomorrow after class :noes:

10. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

Canon SD780 :bowdown:

11. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I just realized that this is the first time I've ever had an auto-focusing thrifty fifty :bowdown: I'm going to crank up the ISO and play with the fifty outside for a bit tonight :naughty:

12. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

Is that the one with the huge LCD (relative to camera size)? I tried to talk her into it but she wanted the less expensive one :dunno: she's all excited that hers has pano and night shot modes, I'm glad she's easy to please :rofl:

I'm house-sitting for my mom until wednesday and left the D90 plugged in there to charge while I came home to get my other gear, I can't wait to test out the D90 here in a bit!

Edit- just realized you were talking about the canon sd780 :hs: I tried to convince HER to buy the g10 but she didn't want to spend that much...