A&P upgrading my gear advice!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by pew pew pew, Mar 23, 2009.

1. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

my dad wants to buy my whole SLR gig (D70s, kit lens, 55-200, 50mm 1.8, memory cards, bag, extra battery, etc etc)... i promised myself if i sell him my gear that ill buy another DSLR so i dont let my hobby go by the wayside.. so ill have a fresh start and at least $700 in my pocket to spend. I was thinking D80 since im familiar with the menus and features and im not familiar with canon's lineup. so what would your personal shopping spree be if you were in my position?

2. Snowballer

Snowballer - Blissfully Insane -

Go with the D90. It has similar features to a D300 like a large LCD and how it feels in your hands... there is more, but alas....

It's about $890 right now for the body. :)

3. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

im so tempted to try something different but it would be nice to have the compatible lenses from my old camera... (im in love with the 50mm 1.8)
    the 40D and the new T1i are high on my list despite my limited canon experience (limited as in taking pics of cd racks and tv displays in now defunct circuit city)

edit: hes buying the whole sha-bang and i added it up and ive spent $1100 on all my gear in just one year. so my shopping spree continues

4. Snowballer

Snowballer - Blissfully Insane -

The D90 is compatible with all of the D70s lenses. A Canon wouldn't be.

Unless I am not understanding what you are saying? :wtf:

5. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

a D90 would be a bigger upgrade than a D80 would be IMO.

going from a 70 to an 80 just seems like a waste to me.

That said, you're gonna have to add some of your own money to that 700 to get a D90 body.

6. Section8

Section8 .

are you saying that you want to try a canon, but you want to be able to borrow your old lenses from your dad after you sell them to him?

If you're familiar with Nikon and liked it, I would stay with Nikon. Get a D90 body and a decent lens. There's a deal on a rebranded Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 right now for $190. http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=4144856

7. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

:nono: that deal sold out in a heartbeat cause it got spread around the fuckin planet.

8. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

:hsugh: i was weighing the luxury of having all those nikon compatible lenses at my disposal vs getting a canon and buying all new stuff. honestly i don't think i need a lot of lenses, my 50mm 1.8 is by far my favorite and best built lens and also by far the cheapest. that and a zoom w/ an image stabilizer would probably be all i want.

9. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Best Buy has the d200 for $650

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=7633313

Same sensor as the d80, better everything else. Not sure what you were going to spend on the d80, but i'd go for this deal over the 80.

The 200 or a d90 is a toss up IMO. I went with the d200 over the 90 because the improved control, speed and feature set of the d200 was more important to me than the teeny bit of improvement you'd get in the 90's sensor. But to a lot here, the sensor improvements are worth the extra $$. To each their own.

10. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

wow thats not bad... i am just starting to outgrow my D70s cuz i want to blow up some pics bigger than 6 megapixels. i don't think id notice the difference or care the sensor is marginally better in the D90.