Upgrading my computer v.notanotherone

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Neuman, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Neuman

Neuman New Member

***Re-Re-Updated***

So what the crap. SLI 680i nVidia chipset boards are lookin to have some issues? I came to the conclusion that...I dont need something for gaming. I dont need something for overclocking. I just want, out of the box, a fast and working computer. Changed up my list a bit. Instead of spending bank on a motherboard, I put some of that money towards more ram, and a faster CPU. Seems like a good idea.......right..?

I ended up switching back to AMD. On Newegg, I can't seem to find a mobo for a core 2 duo that consistantly recieves good reviews. Here is all that I've changed...

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA5200CSBOX - Retail

ASUS M2N4-SLI Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4 - Retail

Any input? I beleive my original idea about getting the newest longest lasting technology was good, but it seems that the newer you get, the more bugs that come with it.

----------------

Old message/original parts lists..........

Looking to do a system rebuild, seeing as my athlon xp has been pissing me off with how slow it has been recently. searching around newegg things have changed a bit since i've last done this so i have a couple questions.

***Re-Updated***

First off, I am looking for a computer I can "grow in to". Utilizing newer technology standards that will be upgradable say....a year from now. heh. I am not a heavy gamer. The only instance where i'd be interesting in playing a new(er) game would be to see how well my newly built system could handle it.

Reading through tomshardware.com and other places it looks like Intel is the way to go on newer technology.

Here is what I have put together so far on newegg. Let me know if there is anything I can change. Thanks for any info!

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6400 - Retail

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - More then I really want to be spending on a mobo but I figure that if it guarantees I can run a quad core CPU in the future it's worth it.

CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X1024A-6400 - Retail

BFG Tech BFGR76256GTOCE GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

LG 18X DVD±R Super-Multi DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black IDE Model GSAH22N-BK - OEM

Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails - Retail

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW Black/Silver Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Questions would be..
    - You think the "value ram" will be a major henderance if I am not a big gamer?
    - Is any of this stuff blatenly overkill for what I want?
    - Been told I need a 750watt PSU for new vid cards comin out...which I'm not sure I really want to invest in...becase I don't know how much I really want to upgrade to play the newest/baddest/raddest video game available.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  2. hyukki

hyukki ._.

Power supply? You should be needing a new one. I'd say AT LEAST 450.
    Maybe you should get a CrossFire/SLI motherboard if you're looking at a year from now.

3. Neuman

Neuman New Member

The asus motherboard I have listed supports crossfire. Trying to figure out exactly what that is...for better graphics card performace?

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Crossfire is ATI's version of SLI.

5. Create

Create :free at last:

Swap the board for something that's nVidia SLi compatible, but stay with Asus if possible. Emmet here will tell you to go with Giga :)

I've had good luck with my eVGA 7600. No blips, freak outs & whatnot after 4-5 months, even after some fairly intensive use.

Hop over to Intel processors for the latest RAM speeds.

6. Doc Brown

Not bad, but I would go with a giga board.

Hey, wait a minute!

7. Doc Brown

Seriously, I love Asus. The better ones overclock just great.

And the Gigabyte 965 series is a winner too.

It mostly depends on the price range you're in.

8. Neuman

Neuman New Member

reading more...

is the opteron primarily for servers?

thinking about changing to a AMD 64 x2 processor using socket AM2....then gettin DDR2 ram?

9. Doc Brown

Honestly, the Intel Core 2 Duo is the way to go.

For the same amount of money you are budgeting for your mobo/cpu/memory, you could be in a state of the art C2D.

10. Doc Brown

It's hard to tell what you have going there without links/pricing.

But if that board is decent enough, you could overclock an E6400 to the E6800 level or more, and put the extra money into a better video card.

11. Create

Also, it shouldn't be more than a $50 upgrade (depends on your preferred vendors) to step up the motherboard and RAM to support DDR2 800. There's always a big price step in processors and RAM somewhere. For RAM, it seems to be anything above DDR2 800.

Newegg was running a great deal on HDD's (which I think is still up). It's around $210 for a 500GB AND a 250GB.

Upon further research I found out that the nVidia 7900's were a remake of the 7600 that corrected some issues. I don't have issues with my 7600, but then both models seem to be about the same price.

12. Neuman

Neuman New Member

updated my original post..

13. Doc Brown

14. Doc Brown

Oh, and the eVga mobo is wicked awesome but I can't help but wonder if you are wanting to overclock it. (which it definitely can do!)

If you are, I would suggest you look into the Corsair XMS2 memory over the value select stuff.

15. Neuman

Neuman New Member

Just want to say I really appreciate the information you've been shooting my direction.

What is your prefrence towards Antec PSU's? Just proven reliability? Or are there....performace gains per quality of PSU? I guess my issue is i've never spent over $40 on one before :hs:

Honestly not really looking to overclock. I was hoping to have a system that when ran at factory settings was pretty freakin quick. At the same time though being able to run my CPU at higher speeds would be nice.......

Put that Seagate HDD in my cart though :)

16. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

(choke)

You've never spent more than $40 on a power supply before? Whew...for that machine you're building, plan to spend $100. Don't bitch about it; the worst thing you can do to your hardware, short of pissing on it while it's plugged in, is to connect it to a cheap power supply that can't properly buffer the current. Any power supply can smooth out the 1/120th-second ripples that come from normal AC current, but only the good ones can maintain a safe voltage through a few-second brownout. Remember, the data in your computer is just electricity, and if the electricity isn't strong enough (or too strong) then the 0's and 1's will get mixed up and POOF! goes all your hard work.

You can console yourself by remembering that, like your screen, the power supply will be usable for the next ten years or more. $10 a year is a good price for clean electricity.

17. Doc Brown

If you're not a big gamer, then maybe you could save some money and buy 1gb of memory for now. Get a 2 x 512mb kit so that you can use it in dual channel. Trust me, there's not a heck of a lot that taps more than 1gb.
    If you're not into heavy gaming, chances are you won't notice the difference.
    And anyways, you can always add another gb at a later date if you get into some heavier gaming, or Vista or both...

Then for now, you take the extra bucks and put it into the second Antec.

That would be good enough to power an 8800GTX card, which is as fast as a pair of 7900GTX cards.

You would have a more future proof computer for a few bucks less.

One other thing to consider, is that you may not want to overclock now but at a later date that could change. An extra $25 or so in that 1gb, and you would be ready for it if you ever changed your mind.

18. Neuman

Neuman New Member

What do you mean use it in dual channel? Is this something I need to set up upon initial installation?

19. Neuman

Neuman New Member

Yea yea...I think that has been the one part of all system builds that I have skimped on. Has never resulted in frying my system...just...a dead power supply.

time to update my shopping cart.

20. deusexaethera

Dual-channel sets up the RAM to run like old SIMM memory used to -- in pairs, for extra bandwidth. You don't have to set it up that way when you first turn on the computer, but you DO have to have a matched pair of RAM cards to make it work.

21. Doc Brown

To add to the RAM issue, the only thing required in setup is to put one
    stick of memory in the first and third memory slot.

On the eVga motherboard, that will be the blue slots.

22. deusexaethera

Really? I thought you had to enable "Bank Interleave" in the BIOS.

23. Doc Brown

Man, this really threw me for a loop. I thought it was automatically enabled on my Intel board, because I didn't see any instructions in any of the literature that came with it (retail board).

So I downloaded the pdf, and did a word search. And it appears that it is automatically enabled on my Intel mobo.

24. Create

I think the setup, below as quoted, looks great.

The RAM can get quite hot, causing memory faults (AKA the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH AKA BSOD). I believe the memory currently listed has a heat spreader. That's good.

The power supply is a bit overboard. You could comfortably step back to 550-600W and still have enough 'fudge room' to be safe from underpowering. If you end up setting up SLI AND upgrading to significantly better video cards, you would want the 650W or more.

25. Neuman

Neuman New Member

Thanks for the input man

Anyone know much about what exactly DVD-R DVD+R DVD+-R and DVD-Ram Write is?