Upgrading Dell Demension 8200's RDRAM Q...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RaBicaN, Jul 21, 2005.

1. RaBicaN

RaBicaN New Member

Hey my boss wants me to speed up her computer because its running really slow. I take a look at it and its a Dell Demension 8200 2.6gig 128 mb RDRAM...so i tell her the computers running slow because of the low amount of ram (after i run adaware, spybot, reg cleaners, ect...) and she wants me to upgrade.

I look online and find a 512mb rdram for 170$, cool then she asks me to check dells site for their price. I do so and read this:

"Rambus memory modules MUST BE INSTALLED in pairs. An upgrade requires two identical modules. Please order two.

In order to upgrade, the customer must remove all existing system memory and replace completely. To upgrade the memory, a BIOS update is required. The latest BIOS revision and instructions on how to flash update the BIOS are located at www.support.dell.com"
    - http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...=us&l=en&cs=19&category_id=2999&page=external

...Is this true??

...kind of messes with my plans if it is true now she will only want 2 256mb chips and do i really need to reflash the bios? i have no idea how to do this and dont really feel comfortable doing so.

THANKS for any help guys!

-jon

2. TheRider

TheRider Geeky OT Supporter

Rambus does have to be installed in pairs in all the Intel chipset boards, except for the 820 series which was singles. In addition you need to terminate all slots that aren't in use. Make sure to match speed to existing Rimms in place ie 800 with 800, 700 with 700, or 600 with 600, or as dell says to make it easier, just pull out the old ones and replace. Upgrading the bios is a very good idea in general on an older system, but not always needed either, not too likely to be required to upgrade memory, but you never know what limitations dell placed in the shipping bios.

3. RaBicaN

RaBicaN New Member

hmmmmmm well the chips in the computer are 128MB/4(# of rdram contains in RIM) at 800MHz, so your saying if i bought one 512MB RDRAM 800MHz it would work?

...could i just install the new ram then if it works it works and if the new bios doesnt support it ill probually know because it wont show up?

thanks!

4. TheRider

No a matched PAIR so 2x of the same size/spec. Then yes you could pull the old put these in and if it doesn't work then you could put back in original and then flash the bios, since as we noted the bios flash may not be needed.

5. RaBicaN

RaBicaN New Member

cool thanks, any info on how to flash the bios?

6. TheRider

Depends on the unit entirely, I don't do alot with Dell's but as I recall generally a file you download then it will either build a floppy disk to reboot to (only on older models) and you boot onto it, it flashes the bios; or on newer machines download a file double click it and it flashes the bios automatically rebooting the system as needed no floppy. This is not a big problem in general usually very easy unless something goes wrong :) You can download the correct file using the service tag from the unit and going to the dell support site.

7. RaBicaN

RaBicaN New Member

...is there any reason to actualy get the dell ram over some samsung ram online? its like twice the price for the dell ram :-\

8. RaBicaN

RaBicaN New Member

THANKS BSRdr ! :)

9. Poon

Poon New Member