Upgrading Bios

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bcr821, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Bcr821

Bcr821 New Member

Ok, so i'm going to be upgrading my computer soon and i'm planning on getting :

Processor:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

MoBo:
    ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe

now, on the ASUS website, they have a bios upgrade that adds support for the dual core processors. But if the MoBo doesn't initially support these processors, how am i going to update the bios? Will the board still work and just report a different/wrong processor? Or will i have to come up with a supported processor to use while i flash the bios?

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

It will still run the processor, it's a socket 939. It just won't recognize it properly most likely, and it wont *officially* support it until you update the BIOS.

an older example, but my mobo didn't support Mobile XP processors until i got a modded BIOS that recognized it correctly. it displayed "unknown cpu typ" (and yes without the "e" at the end) But it still worked jsut fine and overclocked great.

3. Bcr821

Bcr821 New Member

:coold: that's what i wanted to hear. This is an official update, and the board actually does support it so i think it will at least tell me what processor it is :)