Upgrading an older computer....questions?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Danno, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Danno

Danno Bronx Poodle OT Supporter

Is it worth updating an older computer, or is it cheaper to simply buy a new computer?

I was given another computer, seems to work alright. I formatted and loaded Windows XP Pro on it. It has a 100 gig HD on it. But it seems slow, and has a hard time operating with more than 1 single window open.

It's a Pentium II Processor, 348 MHz, 320 MB of RAM. Is it worth upgrading to a different processor with more ram?

I haven't done anything with computers in quite a few years, so I'm well behind the times on what a decent computer is. All it will be used for is getting on the net, downloading, and ALOT of Photoshop work and digital imaging.

Can I upgrade this myself for a decent price? Or is it cheaper to go buy a newer computer?

2. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I would probably go with a new one. To upgrade that computer to the point where you would notice, you would end up having to replace the motherboard, cpu, memory, maybe power supply, video card... Probably best just to start with something new.

3. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

Nah, I'd just build a new one. Start with a simple barebones system from a place like www.tigerdirect.com, then learn from www.tomshardware.com about upgrades and such. Keep the other system, though, to use as a file server on your home network. I've got a Pentium 200Mhz w/ 5GB HDD that I'll be converting to a music server for my home theater here soon.

4. Danno

Danno Bronx Poodle OT Supporter

This computer was a mess when it was given to me. Wouldn't load up windows half the time, the other times that it did load it up, it would just lock up the minute I tried clicking on something.

I formatted and installed Windows XP Pro on it and it runs it good, and I've been able to get online and download music and what not on it without a problem.

The main reason I wanted it though was for Photoshop and all my digital pictures, plus music. I have yet to try loading Photoshop CS on it, do you think the computer is strong enough to handle CS plus the internet?

5. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

Try it out. Might work ok. AFAIK, the 'net doesn't eat up much RAM.

6. WyldKat

WyldKat Come with me if you want to live.

You want a good computer for graphics processing. It's always a better idea to go new than upgrade with a system so old as you mentioned. Shopping smartly you can get a mid to high grade system now for $500 to $1000 depending on what you want to spend. I'm talking a 1.5 ghz + machine with 512 MB RAM. The key is doing it yourself and buying good components at cheap prices which isn't hard at all. I'd keep the HD too, you'll save $100 there. Just reformat it after you back up the stuff you want. Look for barebones systems that have the case, mobo, processor, and fan installed if you are a newbie. Installing sound and video cards are cake, of course you can use onboard sound and sometimes video depending on the mobo you get. Sometimes the onboard sound can be quite good.