upgrading an old gateway

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hoglund53, Jul 22, 2003.

1. hoglund53

hoglund53 New Member

My sister has a Gateway, 300MHz I believe-it's got XP, and it's running painfully slow. She pretty much just uses it for IM and Music, and she connects via AOL dialup.

I saw on pricewatch some 1.4GHz motherboards going for around $30. Would I be able to swap these into her case and just use all her other components? Or would it not fit? a RAM upgrade would probably be useful too. $50 is probably the max budget for this project, since she doesn't have a whole lot of money.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

From 300->1.4 you could use the case, and the peripherals. You would have to replace the motherboard and CPU. You would most likely have to change the power supply as well since P4's use a 4 pin square power connector (some motherboards allow for an inline 4 power connector) and the RAM.

3. hoglund53

hoglund53 New Member

Do you think any of those motherboards should fit into the case? The one thats in there now isn't integrated at all, the video/soundcards are all separate.

And the RAM from the 300 is too old for a P4 machine? She'd probably need more anyway. I wonder if I could get a motherboard w/power source off pricewatch...

4. 5Gen_Prelude

As long as the MB confroms to the ATX standards, it should fit.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

As for the RAM, it depends on what kind of RAM she has and what the new MB uses - PC66 is probably what she has, and PC133 or DDRAM is what the new board uses. If it's the first, it will work but it will suck ass, if it's the latter it won't work

6. Riiiiiiight....

Riiiiiiight.... AVAST!!!!

Also don't forget, that if she has XP or 2000, you will most likely need to reinstall XP as it generally does not like to work when you update the motherboard. (meaning BSOD's, and usually won't load up windows either without a complete reinstall:hs: )

7. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

I don't think you can do any significant upgrades for $50. If she only has 128mb of RAM or less it would help to upgrade that to at least 256, or 384, or 512...