MIL Upgrading a discharge

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by mstad, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mstad

mstad New Member

Back story:
    Joined the Army after high school on a 4 year contract and shipped off to Basic in late '99. Got through basic and went to my duty station in Hawaii. In March of '02 I received a Chapter 13 Separation(General discharge under honorable conditions) for failing two drug tests while in service. It was and still is my understanding that the only real difference in the discharge I received and a regular honorable discharge is that I have no access to my GI Bill now.

Flash forward to present time:
    I've now been out for 7 years, and clean of all drugs for the past 6 years(go me). I've heard from some people in the past that if I can get my discharge upgraded I can get my GI Bill back, and would like to if that really is the case. I've already read about the process of applying for a discharge upgrade, I'm just wondering if anybody here knows for sure about it having any effect on my GI Bill.

2. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

personally I hope you dont get access to the GI bill, you fucked up and should face and pay the consequences

3. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

I'm glad you got you're life together, are off drugs, and want to go back to school. That being said, you did nothing to earn you're benefits. If you succeed in getting you're benefits reinstated, you will be another drain on the system.

4. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

:mad: goddamnit, I wanted to be the first hater in this thread

5. mstad

mstad New Member

Is having to leave the military early and still dealing with an addiction not paying any consequences? Yeah, I fucked up. I know that, and do not dispute that fact. God forbid a guy tries to turn his life around after making some poor choices.

6. teabagn

teabagn New Member

Looks like you only served 3 out of 4 of your years.... I thought the military would be a lot more strict on Soldier/Sailors/Airman/Marines failing drug tests... I didn't even think they'd give you a general discharge.

7. teabagn

teabagn New Member

Sorry dude, there are plenty of state/federal grants and loans for normal citizens. From the sounds of your story it doesn't sound like you earned all the benefits that are given to service men and women from the GI Bill.

8. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

give it a shot, its possible they will either upgrade it or you will find a loophole somewhere.

9. mstad

mstad New Member

Listen, I'm not looking for sympathy here. I fucked up and dealt with my addiction. I was in ADAPC(Army rehab program) and got failed out of it for failing a urine test(That part doesn't make much sense to me, but whatever).

Another drain on the system? If I want to go to school to better myself, how does that make me a drain?

Earned the benefits of the GI Bill? I had X amount of dollars taken from my pay for 1 year, as was the case in the contract.

You wanna hate on me and assume I'm a piece of shit? Go ahead, you don't know me. All I'm looking for is somebody who may know something about this subject.

10. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

drain on the system as in you're taking away money that's meant for people who have earned it by fulfilling their obligations and earning a Honorable Discharge.

I'm with the others, you didn't earn shit...i applaud you for getting your life together and cleaning up...but in the end, you didn't honor your end of the deal when it comes to raising the hand and taking the oath of enlistment.

11. ethannv

ethannv :fawk: OT Supporter

im with the drunk bastard. you didn't earn the gi bill.

12. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

how about this:

go fuck yourself, talk to a lawyer.

13. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

it doesn't make cents to you because you are an incorrigible fuck up.

yea I know, I have seen dozens of guys like you, guys that were given second and third and fourth chances. Hell I used to stick my neck out for guys like you. Go fuck yourself.

14. mstad

mstad New Member

Wow, you've got a one track mind, don't you?

You fuckers sure are hostile to somebody asking a question. I figured as somebody who chose to serve my country, I might be able to get some valid advice from this crowd in here, but it looks like I was wrong.

I'm sorry I'm not as picture perfect as you guys. How's the view from up on your pedestal?

15. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

[​IMG]

Looks pretty good from up here.

16. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Thread has been hijacked.

Subject has gone from 'how can I' to 'do I deserve'

17. Julius

Julius Guest

absolutely! don't let the door hit you on the way out.

18. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I don't know how to get your discharge upgraded.

If you were able to look at this from an unbiased perspective, you would probably agree that you didn't earn the benefit. Having said that, if you can turn it into something good, more power to you. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.