Upgrading a computer from ~2002

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tripod, Aug 6, 2007.

1. tripod

tripod New Member

So I basically use my computer for nothing but surfing the net, don't play all the fancy games or multi-task any large programs or anything like that. However, I can still appreciate a performance increase, when available.

So I've got this Gateway from way back when -- 1.2GHz Celeron, 256 MB RAM, 40 GB HD, pretty standard cheap computer from back in the day. Now I know it's not worth spending money to upgrade an old POS like this to a bunch of serious dudes like yourselves, but I'm not looking to set the world afire here. The way I see it, a lot of people are parting out machines slightly newer than my own, and I could see a very realistic performance increase for very little coin, thus satisfying me for another few years (until I get jealous of my roommate's computer).

First thing - processor. I believe mine is from the "tualatin" phase of processor development... Can I just swap in a tualatin pentium III? Like a 1.4 GHz PIII-S with a 133MHz bus and 512 KB cache?

I need a bunch more ram, too, but I have yet to tear into the thing, and I seem to recall there being a bunch of different types or ram, and I'd better do some research before I start asking stupid questions.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

your questions are difficult to answer without more information. What motherboard?

3. tripod

tripod New Member

I do not know. I will pull the cover off and see if I can figure anything out.

4. tripod

tripod New Member

After pulling the cover off, looking at various numbers, and doing a cursory search on google to figure out what the hell I'm looking for, it would seem that the motherboard is an Intel AA A51507-805. It appears very similar to this one, except mine is a -805 instead of a -804. Visually, they have all the same integrated shit and whatnot.

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

You could do that for very little money. So it's hard to argue with that.

But the 805 chipsets were limited to 512mb of memory.
    That's not much.

Or you could get a basic 965 Intel board with onboard graphics, an E2140 Intel 1.6ghz dual core cpu, and 1gb of memory for $233 shipped.

Dual core cpu $77 shipped
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116037

Intel 965 motherboard $106 shipped
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121049

1gb (2x 512mb for dual channel) A-Data $51 shipped
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211064

Which would give you a seriously faster build than you can do from the 805 chipset.

6. tripod

tripod New Member

That would be sweet, but, honestly, my computer is pretty much good enough for me right now, and not enough of a priority that I want to sink anything more than pocket change into.

512 MB of memory would be fine for me, I mean, shit, it's twice what I've got now, right? That's a good increase! (I'm an optimist)

But yeah, if I can noticeably improve the performance for around $100, that's my plan.

7. Doc Brown

You might have a hard time finding the exact specs of your motherboard through Gateway, unfortunately. I don't mean you won't, just that Gateway's site isn't all that helpful. ( you have to be absolutely sure that your board can handle a Tualatin)

You can get those Tulatins for $30 on ebay if you can find one.
    The ram should only run you around $30 shipped.

So yeah, it's a cheap upgrade.

*edit - Here's a 1.4 on ebay for $30 shipped.
    The dude has perfect feedback.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Tualatin-...ryZ14292QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

8. tripod

tripod New Member

I'm pretty sure my celeron 1.2 is tulatin celeron... same pins, same voltage and stuff... at least that's what I've been able to ascertain from my reading thus far... but I don't really know that much about these things, so I could be wrong.

9. tripod

tripod New Member

Also, while I was in there, I saw that the power supply was rated for 200w continuous. Is that really low? The machine has 3 expansion slots, one of which currently has a modem (which I'm getting rid of). I'll probably put in a TV card, a video card and a USB 2.0 card (it currently has 1.1 integrated ports everywhere). I'll also be adding a hard drive and a dvd-rw drive.

10. Doc Brown

Well the 200w is obviously fine for the original build.

But with all the add-ons, that may change.

11. Achance007

Achance007 Active Member

just get a new cheap system, keep checking slickdeals.net for good dell deals.

Dell has this Dimension E521 with 19-inch widescreen LCD for $469. Free shipping. For an extra $40 you can upgrade to a 20-inch LCD monitor instead.

System Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000+ Processor
    2GB DDR2 Memory
    80GB Hard Drive
    48x CD-RW / DVD-ROM Combo
    19 inch Samsung LCD Monitor
    Expires: 8/8/2007

$469
    [After $330 Instant Savings.]

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=93060&t=578122

http://forums.slickdeals.net/forumd...&sort=lastpost&order=desc&daysprune=7&icon=23

12. Stev

Stev Active Member

any money u put towards that is to put a bandaid on for a few months. Get a new machine...