Upgraded to 1 GB ram (and WTF .. fan is off)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by floris, Mar 29, 2005.

1. floris

floris Guest

Last week I got a good (f'kn) deal with a shop so I took the oppertunity to upgrade from my old 2x 256mb ram to a brand new stick of 1 gb ram. Despite eastern it arrived after 3 days and that was this morning.

I know how things that you get new are way cool, until they don't work :/ :\ so I was like :bowdown: and :x: and :noes: .. but all g00d, all'go'd

Shut down my system after patting it.

Opened up my case (see doubleyou^3 .specs.tk for details) chieftech case and gazed upon the amount of crap hardware I've got in it already (sigh) and thought about how sweet it would be to double the ram i have now.

But just before I was about to do the upgrade I noticed something off .. BLOODY HELL :o

The passive cooling is just lying there on top of the x800 videocard. OMG.. NOoooo.

The little U pin on the motherboard broke off I guess and no more cooling for the intel chip on the mobo. Thing is, pc still works LOL ... (but still not cool).

Checked my hardware and inspected my x800 and removed the 2x 256 and put the 1gb in and closed the case, booted up and .. yay.

Of course windows wanked about 'you're a legal user, so lets annoy you with activation because you changed your hardware' , rather then 'you're running a corp cracked version so we wont bother you sorry!'.

AANYWAZY

Finally got my stupid 1gb ram again and my big ass photoshop & 3d files are gonig smooooth again and the doom3/halflife2 swapping is finally no longer needed and I'm just very happy.

My temps used to be 21 to 27 for the cpu, 20 for the case and 25 for the hd and 45 for the gpu. Now hey are 35 for the cpu, 30 for the case and 30 for the hd. And in stress(playing games, etc) the cpu goes stable at 55 and case at 32 and hds at 31.

But I am so scared my pc will just stop working becaue something burned up.
    (maybe good excuse to get a dual g5 with 4gb ram from apple?)

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

cpu @ 21 - 27 :ugh2: unless you keep your house @ like 10°C, i am finding that doubtful. The temps you have now are a lot more reasonable.

3. floris

floris Guest

There are 2 fans in the front and 2 in the back, one 92mm one in the top at the back. They're running at 1000 to 1500 rpm, and the gpu / cpu ones are at their own rates, depending how hot it gets. Below 30 is what I'm used to. Pentium eyh, they don't get as hot as amd's.

4. Weiner

Weiner New Member

:hsugh:

5. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

my cpu is running at 27F - 37F, case at a constant 70F according to mbm5.

6. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

the only way in HELL you could get those temps are with phase change..

7. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

my current temps
    [​IMG]

no phase change