upgraded powerbook G4 wireless card to 802.11n

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by itchypony, Dec 13, 2007.

1. itchypony

itchypony New Member

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

That $70 would go a good way to get a new machine. Think I'd save my money for that.

3. vansamirin

vansamirin Active Member

a new machine is like 1500 :ugh:

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

So 4.5% of that that new machine costs is worth a little bit faster internet? I guess. Hell you can get a much newer used machine of a heck of a lot less then $1500. Even a brand new MacBook would school your PowerBook G4. To each their own but I don't see much point in spending the money just to get a little faster surfing speed when the machine itself is getting close to the end of it's useful life. This is coming from someone using a TiBook (along with a number of other Macs).

5. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

if you can surf at 54+ Mbps then :bowdown:

6. itchypony

itchypony New Member

Why does this argument always come up? When I have the cash to dump on a new mac, it's going to be a mbp w/ 4GB of RAM, or whatever it will be up to by then. Meanwhile, this 5 year old relic is paid for and it serves its purpose well, albeit slowly. I can afford the $70 for the simple improvement of being able to utilize 802.11n.

If I wanted to improve my car audio, I probably wouldn't go out and purchase a new car, either.