Upgrade woes

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SycoPhant, Dec 20, 2004.

1. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

I've acquired an ABIT KD-7 mobo and Athlon XP 2500+ chip off of kaldurak. He had an overclocking mishap, which did not harm the chip or mobo but did harm the ram.
    Here's the deal:
    I pulled my old Athlon 750 and board out of my Gateway, and being that I haven't put a mobo in a computer in about 6 years, I did not know of the 4 pin 12v constant for the chip. The computer would get into XP setup or just barely into Windows 2k (which is on the HD right now) and then shut itself off. I figure that 4 pin connector has to be the issue, so after much toiling, I decide to move on to a different case. My friend gave me a 550w ps he had around (never used) as a christmas present. Another guy I know owns a computer shop, so he hooked me up w/ a decen ATX case free. I re-install the board and all that crap. Things look good, sound good, but it's still shutting off. I went to Best Buy and picked up 2 Kingston DDR 400mhz 256mb chips, figuring maybe the bad ram stick would be the issue.
    Unfortunately it's not. It's still shutting down. No warning or anything, it just all turns off.

Ideas?

Please? :wtc:

2. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

I reset the bios and loaded optimized defaults, re-set boot order and other little shit, now setting up XP :bigthumb: