Upgrade Suggestions?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RyeLou, Aug 15, 2004.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Amd Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
    1.67GHz
    256MB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS/GeForce2 Pro
    XP Pro w/ SP1

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should upgrade? I'd like to get my computer up to par, but I'm not sure if it would just be easier to start over. I know I could keep a few things from this computer, but not sure how much. Any suggestions? Need more info?

2. Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister Putting the "fun" back into Dysfunctional.

By the time you are done upgrading, you'd pretty much have a new PC.

Depending on what motherboard you have, you could go the cheap route and upgrade your CPU to something more powerful. If you do that, check your RAM and see what speed it's rated to go up to.

I personally would increase the amount of RAM to at least 1GB. 256MB just isn't enough for the OS and any currently running app to run smoothly.

If you're not playing video games, the GF2 is fine. If you plan on playing games, you need to replace the card.

3. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I love my video games. I play Comand and Conquer right now. For the most part it does okay, but when it goes slow I'm not so sure it's a graphics card issue. It only goes slow during battles where there is a huge amount of guys in one area all fighting. Need For Speed Underground works okay. So does Team Fortress. Counterstirke used to, but that's getting a little laggy now.

4. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

To do so am I going to need a better motherboard or can I just upgrade that by itself? I'll check on the RAM. I bought the computer about a year and a half ago from a friend who builds them. I bought it for $600 which I felt was a decent deal considering it came with everything I wanted. He built some crazy PC after he sold me this one.

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Ram first: At least another 256 (total 512), 1GB would be better. You will feel this one.
    Video Card: You can get a decent vid. card for under 100. You box should (hopefully) have an AGP slot.

6. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

It does. Suggestions on card to upgrade to with current set up? I'll try going this route before anything else. I'll check the RAM when I get back from this business trip.

7. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Got ahold of my friend who built my PC. He said he would send me an email or IM about which parts to buy. I'll post when I find out which he reccomends. He said buying a new video card should be fine without upgrading the motherboard. And it will hold up to 1GB of RAM. I'm excited now