upgrade Radeon x1650 pro tooo ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by raand, Jan 31, 2008.

1. raand

raand New Member

I have looked at a couple of Nvidia chipsets and my laptop has a geforce 8600 and i am looking at getting either a 8800 for my desktop or just something better than the 1650 pro i have. I would like to keep it below 150 because the system is about 2.5 to 3 years old.

Desktop specs
    Dell Dimension 8400
    3.4 GHz pentium 4
    2 gigs of RAM
    Running windows XP

I am not sure what else you guys would need for the system specs just ask and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Also I was wondering if it was normal to find the geforce chipset on cards but the actual manufacturing done by other companies like this card on new egg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133204

and last any cards that people recommend?

2. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

It is very normal to find GeForce chips on card sold by other manufactures. As far as specs, just make sure that you have an available PCI-Express x16 slot.

Recommendations, eVGA, XFX, or BFG for manufacturers and get GDDR3 over GDDR2.

3. raand

raand New Member

allright sounds good

now does my system need to be compatable with gddr3?

also is it possible that my motherboard will not be able to handle the newer cards or as long as a have I pciE x16 slot i should be ok??

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

1. gddr3 won't be an issue

2. your mobo can handle the card. what you should be concerned about is the power supply. the power supply must provide enough juice for whatever amperage the card requires.