Upgrade or no?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FreeSpace, Mar 14, 2005.

1. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

I don't think my dual 2600+/9700 Pro rig has enough juice to jizz todays games out at breakneck speeds.

I don't know if I should upgrade, or buy a cheap XP, and run my Chaintech board dual channel.

2. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

At breakneck speeds? No.

But if you have the cash to upgrade then by all means go for it, i would definetly recommend socket 939 though, cause socket 940 and 754 are end of the line.

Maybe if you gave us a price and what besides the CPU and Motherboard you want to upgrade we can help you further.

3. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

I'm sorry, I thought you all already knew my specs.

I'm thinking of Chaintech's new Socket 939 motherboard, and an AMD 64 3400+ or up.

1 GB of dual channel would be ideal. I also need a new hard drive, because my WD is starting to bite the dust after eight months.

I'm thinking of a 160GB ATA-133 Samsung SpinPoint with 8MB of cache.

The video card will be an X850 Pro AIW.

The motherboard is as follows (The NB will have upgraded cooling):

http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=318

The question remains: What if I just got a mobile 3000+ XP and OCed it to 3400+ speeds, and got 1GB of dual channel PC3200, and an X800 Pro non-AIW?

That would be paired up with my Chaintech 7NIL1 motherboard, which I already own.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the video card will hold you back from future games... Regardless of whether you're an ATi or nVidia fan, you cannot ignore the fact that nVidia's current offerings are more future-friendly with additional features available up-front, and better expandability down the line.

5. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

They don't even make a X850 AIW, i assume you meant X800XT AIW.

Video card I like the ATI's just for the AIW functionality, that alone keeps me from getting an Nvida card.

Everything else looks good, i prefer Seagate over the Samsung drive however.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

In my experience, the AIW functions (mainly just video in) are inferior to other products, such as the Hauppage PVR-150 or nVidia NVTV-16 -- and the ATi offerings are at a higher combined cost.

7. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Si, i just prefer to have it all on one board and for what i do it does the job :)

8. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

I avoid nVidia these days because their EOL support is inferior to that of ATi. If nVidia made the 9700 Pro it would have had driver problems by now.

I assume that you know about the fan terminating problems that occur with the still-widespread GF4 Ti line and newer drivers, right?

Also, one driver build a month = sexy.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have a Ti4200 and a Ti4600 and both are going strong without issues. I have never had issues with nVidia drivers... Yet I constantly find problems with ATi drivers. The community as a whole tends to agree.

But again, you really didn't address any of my points that you quoted... The ATi will become obsolete long before the comprable nVidia card, will.