Upgrade help v. high end system upgrade

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hey Fella, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Hey Fella

Hey Fella New Member

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]
    What is your opinion? Worth it at the money or wait? I am just going with one vid card for now. Would I see a large performace gain from this now or in the long run?

[​IMG]
    [/font]

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica][font=verdana,arial,helvetica]Currently:[/font][/font]
    [font=verdana,arial,helvetica][font=verdana,arial,helvetica][/font][/font]
    [font=verdana,arial,helvetica][font=verdana,arial,helvetica]Processor:
    Athlon 64 3500+

Mobo:
    Asus A8V Deluxe

Video:
    BFG 6800GT OC
    [/font]
    [/font]

Worth it or wait for newer technology? I need to know soon b/c there is a sale one the
    A8N SLI:hsd:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

What memory do you have? Do you have the proper case and power supply already? Do you have the proper hdd setup?

3. Hey Fella

Hey Fella New Member

Storage:
    WD 250gb/ wd 80gb

RAM:
    1024 PQI Turbo ddr400 pc3200

Case:
    Thermaltake Shark w/ Thermaltake purepower 420w

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the 250 is fine. I'd go for a seagate 80 sata because of the 5-year warranty.

For the ram, I'm not to fond of PQI... I'd say go with 2x512MB Corsiar XMS

And I dislike thermaltake cases (personal preference) but thermaltake powersupplys actually do suck. If you want a nice case, look at LianLi/Silverstone. For power supply, look at enermax.

5. Hey Fella

Hey Fella New Member

Thanks for your opinions, some Thermaltake is crap some is good. The case is a kickass case you cant change my opinion on that, look it up, the powersupply is a very decent one. As for the RAM, you have to be nuts, it's some of the best out right now PQI TCCD w/Brainpower PCB @ 2-2-2-5. Just needing the opinion on the above upgrade. :)

Thanks

6. Hey Fella

Hey Fella New Member

Where did you go Jolly?? The sale ends in 2hrs. Need some advice here ppl :run:

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I made my recommendations... do with them as you wish.

8. Hey Fella

Hey Fella New Member

9. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

I agree with JO. Thermaltake PSU's are pretty crappy, this is coming from someone who's last psu was a Thermaltake 480W one. It was insanely loud on load. I replaced it with an Enermax noisetaker 480W, and i couldn't of being happier. And that case is ugly as sin, why not spend and extra $30 and pick up a Lian Li PC-V1000.

The ram is pretty decent stuff, however I'd get this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146890
    It has the same memory chips and is supstantially cheaper. Its also built on a better PCB. OCZ also has a lifetime warranty.

10. diranged

diranged New Member

Whoa wait... your going to spend nearly $500 on a CPU and not spend the extra few bucks to get an X2 DualCore CPU? Just spend $550 and get a X2 4400+ AMD64 CPU. It will be a great CPU for quite a while. That board already has Dual Core support in the latest stable BIOS too..

11. Hey Fella

Hey Fella New Member

I think you might have missed the point. I already have the case ram and psu. I would have no reason to sell the ram and get that stuff. I like my case, it keeps this nice and cool. My psu is doing the job just fine and it's not loud at all. I will need to upgrade that in the future, no need to right now.

I did consider that, and I was looking at the same cpu you mentioned as a matter of fact. From what I have read there are no games that support DC technology, you would get better performance out of a single core for gaming. Either way you look at it, you are still going to have to upgrade in the future no matter what you buy to keep up with new technology.

Thanks for your opinions everyone :)

12. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

but you'll be able to go longer before upgrading if you get a dual core...

13. pollux

pollux OT Supporter

Although game improvement might be a little less (source?), you would have the added capability of multitasking when you need to. The performance there should increase a lot over the single cores.

14. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I like the OCZ ram and Corsair better. If you don't have to keep the setup your about to buy for a while, single core might not be that bad, but I would still go dual core. I doubt you plan on upgrading alot because your excited about a sale.... so dual core gets my vote for sure. The case.... personal choice on what looks good. The PSU sucks no matter what you say.