Upgrade for mi padre's PC / WoW

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Morgan06, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Went and checked out my dad's computer problem this week. Random reboots so I checked the minidumps. Then the BOIS... an idle AMD 3000+ 2.17 @ 85 Celsius which can't be optimal.

His birfday is coming up, and prior to his PC problems he wanted a nice sub 4ms 19" LCD. Instead, I will piece together a decent barebones for WoW, some mild Photoshop, and whatever else he does on the internet :noes:

I'm leaning towards a Pentium D 940 and I'm sure it's got to be ATX mobo. But I can't find a decent socket 775, 1066 capable, with an AGP slot. He wants to keep his current graphics card, and I don't know if WoW will work with an onboard controller or cheap PCIe.

Any insight towards Warcraft graphics requirements or a decent 775/1066/AGP motherboard # to check into? Budget is less than $200 for MB/CPU

2. Create

Create :free at last:

3. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I'm not happy with the fact that not one of those boards will handle an AGP card.

Cmon, slugger. It's not that I don't appreciate your 15 seconds of effort, but I'm going to hover over that 'Buy It Now' button until some more pertinent advice get posted.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Watch the attitude, kid. I looked on Newegg.com myself and all the Socket 775 boards I saw with AGP slots were out of stock. That might have something to do with why Create didn't find any to spoon-feed to you.

The Athlon your dad has will run WoW and Photoshop just fine. What you need is to clean the heatsink with dish detergent and remount it with fresh heatsink goop.

That said, if you're dead-set on an upgrade and a CPU switch (which will require reinstalling Windows, btw), I found this on Amazon Marketplace. ASUS boards are top-quality.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GWFE9Y/ref=olp_product_details/102-4155722-5256933?ie=UTF8&seller=

5. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Yes, I'm pretty much set on an upgrade. He deserves it, and my parent's financial situation won't allow any frivolous spending.

That's what I needed, was a confirmation on a near complete lack of AGP/775 boards. I had basically exhausted newegg and tigerdirect myself.

I'm leaning towards the Abit IL9/IB9, and have had good experiences with the company in the past. I'll check the ASUS mid range boards as well. Must haves would be 775, 1066, and 1 or more IDE.

As for the attitude, excuse me if this guy Create is a respected :06: in this forum. But what he linked was three variations of the same boards, with no AGP and no C2D support. Completely useless as far as my AGP stipulation and offers offers zero future proofing at all. Tunnel vision produces awful results.

6. Create

Buy it now, fucktard. You think I give a fuck if some snot nose kid gets a good deal?

AGP on a C2D board. Good luck with that gimped out setup.

You, specifically, should buy a used MSI board and seat a new processor.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  7. Create

You get shit for results when you stipulate moronic interface combinations. Not one of the initial stipulations shows even an inkling of knowledge of today's technology and price points. Nice try getting your arms around it. Too bad you failed.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  8. Create

PS, 2nd shot at me in a thread where you're asking for help, and aparrently need a ton of it, results in an iggy for the non-sub noob.

9. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Easy, killer. Guess I know why you've got me beat by 4100+ posts.

You, specifically, should learn a little abstinence from your keyboard. Keep acting like I was insulting your personal computer prowess or parts buying savvy. All I said was your reply wasn't relevant. Secondly, I'm sure you didn't ignore me and to prove it you'll have to shy away from this thread while it secretly boils your blood having to pucker that cursor's diarrhea.

10. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

Days of our Lives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.