Updating Firmware

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Penguin Man, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I bought a DVD+-RW drive the other day, a BenQ DW1620 (it was only $109 Canadian and I've had good experience with BenQ products before so I figured it was worth it). Anyway, I install it today and go to burn a DVD and it goes at about 0.5x, occaisionally jumping to 2.5x and when it's done the damn DVD doesn't even work. Try it again, same thing. So, I go to their website and it looks like there's a new firmware available. I download the zip file, unzip it and it gives me an EXE. Fucking great, how the fuck am I supposed to update the firmware? I don't have Windows.

Any way to update the firmware from Linux, or should I just throw the drive in my brother's Windows machine and update it on there, then swap it back in?

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Throw it into a windows box. It will save you tons of headaches. Just make sure you read the instructions carefully. I did the firmware for my LG dvd burner last week and they're very specific about which ide channel it has to be on and which jumper setting.
    The burn speeds can also be affected by media, if it's brand name like Verbatim or Maxell, as opposed to the generic media.

3. Penguin Man

First thing I thought of was the media too, but they're Verbatim 8x DVD-Rs and I tried two, so I'm pretty sure that's not the issue. I'll throw it in the Windows box tomorrow and try the firmware upgrade. If that doesn't work, I might just return it and get an LG for $20 more.

4. Penguin Man

Got it to update, but it still won't burn or read -Rs. I've read on the internet it generally has trouble with -Rs, so I'm going to return it tomorrow and see if I can trade it up for an LG one.

5. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Make sure you get the one that is dual layer. The 16X just came out too.

6. Penguin Man

I'm thinking I'll just get the 8x one that's $109. I don't need dual-layer right now, and the media isn't really available yet either.

7. Gaylord Focker

Gaylord Focker 8=oOOo=D ~ ~ ~

look into the nec 3500a or the pioneer 108. they're some of the top rated burners right now, they do 16x and are both dual layer. they can also both be had for around 100-110 canadian.

8. Penguin Man

Link?

Thing is, if I just return the one I bought, they'll probably charge me a restocking fee, but if I just exchange it then they might waive the restocking fee since they're usually pretty good about things like that (especially if I say the drive doesn't work, which it doesn't as far as I'm concerned). :dunno:

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

excellent drive : http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-129-157&depa=0

And it could be bad media. DVD is *VERY* picky. I have media that works great in my burner but not in others.... And there's plenty of media that works in other burners and not mine.

DVD media is NOTHING like CD-R media, so don't try to compare the two.

Most online media shops will give you a list of drives the media is certified to work with. Always buy certified media and you'll be happy.

Oh, and do I see a scenario where Windows has better support than Linux? Yep. Same with 108Mbps wifi (just thought I'd get my laugh in at the linux community's expense :p)

10. Gaylord Focker

Gaylord Focker 8=oOOo=D ~ ~ ~

not sure about edmonton but just about every computer store sells them for that price in toronto. check the store you bought your drive from to see if they carry it. they're 2 of the most popular drives right now and i'd be surprised if they didn't stock them.