Updates from yesterday's Linux Fest

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by stillspiraling, Oct 3, 2004.

1. stillspiraling

stillspiraling Would you like some making fuck, BERSERKER

I felt this deserved a thread just because of the topics covered at the LinuxFest in Ohio.

First speaker was the keynote, Paul Ferris. This guy is an open source "big dog", a serious advocate. He's been doing open source stuff for over 15 years. I've never really seen anyone as passionate about linux in general. If you want to make a permanent enemy of him - go up and ask him what the linux roadmap is :eek3: (you linux nerds should know the implications of this question...)

Next speaker was Rich Bowen from Apache. He does documentation for the HTTP server stuff. He talked about speed tweaks for Apache 2.0, and it was pretty damn interesting stuff. I don't really feel like going into his tweak ideas right now. PM me if you're really interested ;)

The next speaker I saw was Scott Collins, an engineer for Mozilla who lives in Michigan. He also works now for Trolltech. This was where the BADASS news came. This was like a private sit down session with about 20 of us and him. For you KDE buffs: As you should know the current firefox release is coded on top of the GTK package. The same goes for Gecko, the rendering engine. He informed us that at the KDE Academy in Germany a week or two ago, 4 badass hackers got together and re-coded the whole shebang in QT, which means that firefox will run NATIVELY in KDE!! WOOHOO! This also means that Konqueror will be able to use the Gecko renderer to view things like Gmail, and banking pages!! HAWT! This was big news for me.

Next speaker was this guy from Asterisk, a VoIP software. This program went to a stable 1.0 release about a week ago and is AMAZING. If you don't know about VoIP, check it out. This program makes it work very well with great hardware. I'm not going to explain it all here, it's too much info ;)

Last speaker was a guy doing anti-spam techniques using some linux mail server stuff. I didn't find it very interesting as I feel the spam situation is hopeless overall. I don't feel like debating it right now either :p

Cliffs: none, read it :fawkd:

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

One of the CS profs here is researching anti-spam stuff. It's really interesting, you should check out his webpage: http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~pawel

3. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

I'd actually like to hear about all the tweaks. Maybe if you have the time, could you put together a post about the tips. I think it would be cool especially for the forum to know.

Then, I don't understand why it's awesome for firefox to run natively in KDE. Does it not run at all? Is it slower because it's not written in QT?

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

very :cool:. It's been awhile since i've been to a linux conference. :)

5. stillspiraling

stillspiraling Would you like some making fuck, BERSERKER

Ok, I can write up the tips in this thread later.

No, firefox runs fine in KDE, but the main thing is that the gecko rendering engine is running on top of GTK instead of QT, which causes some stupid issues in KDE. (because KDE is based on QT)