SRS UPDATE on transfering colleges / life

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Drifter87, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

I just went through 4 sessions of Career Counseling. It seems I really want to be in Law Enforcement (FBI, CIA, SWAT).

I guess I am running into a fear of, what if the FBI, CIA, or SWAT turn me down? Then I would have spent 4 years on a criminal justice degree for nothing. This has happened before with the Army. Spent countless hours getting ready for the physical, going to interviews, taking Military Science classes, and I get rejected for having Flat Feet which dosn't even bother or effect me in any way!

Right now I am very confused on what to do, I want to transfer colleges, but I really don't have the support of my parents. Yes my parents help me pay for college, without them, I would have to go to a CC or someplace cheap and not get a good education.

Being at RIT has destroyed me as a person, after 34 weeks of just being depressed, I have lost my No Fear, Hardcore, Never give up and always fight side. I feel like I am dying as a person. Everyone says its my fault, but the clubs I was into don't meet often, I get groups of people together to do things, but they always back out last second, I do things on my own, but I lack a car, so Taxis get expensive since the bus system here sucks.

Everytime I get hope, a dream, a new goal, or something that would change my life for the better, it gets shot down...

I am getting tired of having no hope, being alone, feeling like no one cares, and like all my efforts are for nothing.

I'm confused on what to do with myself :wtc:

2. HailStorm

HailStorm OT Supporter

How old are you?
    Law Enforcement isn't just restricted to the Federal Agencies, and SWAT is something that you apply for once you're a cop. There are a ton of departments in New York (state), and even more if you're willing to relocate.
    If you get the CJ degree, there are places in the south that would KILL to have you (a degree is gold down there). If that's not possible, go ahead and find some departments near you. Call their recruiters, see what the minimum standards.
    Do you have a "clean" background? Minimal drug usage, nothing hard? Few traffic tickets, no felony arrests, that sort of thing?
    If so, it's very possible to get hired on.
    Best of luck. If it's what you want to do, run with it. It make take more than once, but most people I know got hired eventually.

3. Drifter87

I really want to live in NYC/Long Island or California. I use to live in the south... and hated it.

My background is very clean... I only have a speeding ticket which was knocked down to a parking ticket. So NO Drugs, NO DWI, Nothing Hard

I know the requirements for the FBI is a BA or BS in CJ, Accounting, Computers, or something else w/ 3 years experience.

Police Officers... not much... they perfer a BA/BS, but you can get in w/o it.

SWAT is a few years on the force, then passing SWAT school.

I still have a lot more to look into, but the FBI and SWAT are my number 1.

Edited Part:

I am only 18, so I can still change my mind and won't loose to much ground in college.

4. HailStorm

HailStorm OT Supporter

I'm actually in a similar boat.
    I'm 18, and also trying to get into LE as a career. I'm not, however, majoring in CJ for exactly the reasons you listed. Something to fall back on, because a life as a CO and/or CJ Professor does not sound appealing.
    Why the FBI? For the investigations part? Work your way up from a beat cop, you'll be better at the investigations.
    SWAT will come with time at every department. Finish your degree first. That's what I've always been told. It's easier to get a job after you get the degree, but it's very difficult to get your degree after you're working--shift work, random OT, family, very hard to commit to a steady schooling schedule.

5. Drifter87

I deff want to get my BA/BS first before I do anything. The FBI is interesting because of the investigation and field work sounds very interesting. If I were to be a regular cop, I wouldn't want to just write traffic tickets.

What exactly is LE?

6. cutlasskid85

cutlasskid85 OT Supporter

Law Enforcment :dunno:

7. HailStorm

HailStorm OT Supporter

LE. Law Enforcement. It varies per department. Most larger departments, you won't have time to just sit and write traffic tickets.
    Take a local department to me--Minneapolis Police Department. Most of the things they do are responding to 911 calls. One minute you're rolling to a violent domestic, then you're taking a barking dog complaint, followed up by a "suspicious vehicle" call. Burglary in progress, medical, unknown disturbance, theft, 911 hang up, bomb threat, fraud, bad checks, vehicle collision, executing a search warrant, serving OFPs (in essence, restraining orders), then after a few years you can go for specialty groups--robbery, homicide, gang unit, anti-crime, narcotics, and even SWAT. In your free time, you can pull over cars, sure. Some of the cops I know don't write any tickets, they use the stops to try to find drugs and guns. If the occupants are clean, away they go. There is a lot more to LE than just traffic tickets.

8. Drifter87

That sounds like what I want, in the field action and always moving.

What drives me insane is sitting behind a computer writing programs and letters to random people about random things.

Question, what are the medical requirements for Law Enforcement. I have flat feet, they don't affect me negatively in anyways, but Army ROTC kicked me out because of it.

9. HailStorm

HailStorm OT Supporter

If action is what you want, find a bigger department. NYPD (for all the hype it gets) would be good, or other larger, progressive departments (not saying smaller aren't busy, but you won't get the same variety of calls).
    Flat feet....3 minutes of research points to...maybe. Some places mandate that you can't have them, some places don't care as long as you can complete the required physical test. I guess talk to recruiters at the specific department(s) you're interested in, before you fill out the app.
    Best of luck.

10. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I contacted the militairy for you , but they never called back. :dunno:

Its even strange http://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/8953.html studies show that people with flat feet perform better in the army when it comes to avoiding injuries.

Even more strange i find the comment in this link.http://myphysicians.com/articles041.html and i quote.
    So if the U.S. army has disregarded this, then why did you got thrown out? It makes no sense. http://forums.military.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/78192862/m/6790091160001/r/6570092160001

Army recruits in this forum post that they had flat feet and where still able to join the militairy.It is something of the past, and not of modern times, Look , if they don't take you in , then i would throw it on 'DISCRIMINATION' , that word can get you into almost anything.

11. Drifter87

If you want, I can get a copy of my DOBMERB report and the report denying my waiver about my flat feet.

I can enlist in the army and any other branch of the military, but I cannot join Army ROTC and OCS may or may not take me.

I don't have a fax, but I surely can get a copy from my files back home on Long Island, take a picture of it and send it to you. Worst case, you would have to wait for me to go home from college for the summer to get a copy. (Parents are very slow to send me things).

12. Darketernal

Look , if you join the army, then you can always work your way up. Talk to the officers, about what you are willing to achieve, im sure they can help you once your in. Transfers within the army should be easier i suppose when you are already in it.

13. Darketernal

You know another thing in life is , people will often give you the 'come back in 10 years' reply. I think that is basically the issue. Persistance is the key to succes, especially when it comes towards the army they want to get rid of the people who 'easily give up' , i think that this is your life lesson , to NEVER give up. Especially when it comes to the 'you'll never make it, or , you are dissaproved' remarks, it would be vital for you to be like Lance Armstrong, who got nothing more then comments like 'its impossible,and , you cannot do it' , then proved them wrong by investing so much effort that he became a champion, and from champion to legend. It would be wise to find GREAT inspiration in that. With the right persistent attitude you can achieve anything. And it would sure beat sitting in a rut by a million.

14. Drifter87

I was like Lance Armstrong, they said no, I still showed up for PT and Military Science, they told me it would never happen, I still showed up. Finally the Master Sargent called me into his office, and handed me papers withdrawling me from all my ROTC related courses and told me good luck.

My PT scores were good enough to pass and them some (some of the scholarship cadets failed the PT test), my Military Science classes I knew everything and was getting an A, my leadership Labs I did everything I was told to do so.

Because of my flat feet and orthotics(sp) they dropped me and the best part is I havn't worn my orthotics in years.

15. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Fine line between persistance and stubborness.

Stubborness is blindly running in, ignoring people who are giving you constructive advice not to go the way you are going because it does not suit you.

Stubborness is what drives people to devote years of their life committed to an idea convinced that's the only path to their success. They don't look for alternate roads or choose different methods...they believe just pushing ahead on the same path is the only way and the whole world be damned if they can't see it.

Stubborness involves arrogance, stupidity, & dumb pride. Sounds a little like our politicians doesn't it?

Persistance involves a bit of thinking....the ONLY thing preventing you from achieving the success you want is an alternate idea. Persistance is always believing a solution exists, but realizing that you may have to find different ways to get to it.

16. Drifter87

If this is relating to the army... I was Persistant, father was a naval officer and my mother worked with DoBMERB. I listened to what my parents said since my father went through the system and my mother has gotten people cleared with DoBMERB (medical waivers). I also did everything the Recruiters told me to do, and the Army ROTC CO said he could get me a medical waiver.

There isn't much I can do when DoBMERB denies my medical waiver, and the CO says he tried but the claim was turned down and hands me withdrawl papers.

I was told "No" a dozen times, it took then handing me withdraw papers from ROTC, to get me to stop.

Parents said I have a small shot at OCS, or I can just join a different branch of the military.

On another note, my father randomly called me up today and told me that CJ/LE would be a waste of a major and that I should stick to IT/ANSA... but he was more willing of a transfer to another college then past times we have spoken.

17. Darketernal

Ok, i searched for advice it seems that if you go thru your Local recruiting station you can apply for medical waiver there, according to those recruiters i spoke to they cannot refuse you if you don't suffer from any pain even if you have flat feet.

What you have to do is to get yourself a 'second opinion' get 'another' medical waiver, you just tell you suffer from nothing and want to apply to the militairy. Once they do that medical exam, just try to lift your feet a 'little' so that the 'flat imprent' that it would usually give would look less important, sorta lie your way thru in there. You could even try to put some sort of gel underneath your feet that would give you a foot arc instead of a flat imprent. Whatever it takes, don't let anyone steal your future away from you,
    no you have to KEEP being persistant, that's the thing about persistance, you don't 'throw' it into the wind. Yes its harsh but try being harsh to the situation instead. Those damn recruiters won't get you anywhere, as usual it all comes down to yourself, you have to find a way to sneak into the army. Many people have succeeded to get into the army by lying themselves into it, lying about age, flat feet or whatever, just give it a try, because you tried everything else right?

It seems like your cursed and some invisible force doesn't want you into the army. So i suggest you either pray to God that you be enlisted in the army, or pray that he will reveal to you the pathway you should take in life.

Its either this or that, what you are currently doing is severely eating you away, i can't imagine you can hold out much longer.

http://www.goarmy.com/life/basic/index.jsp

If all fails

http://www.cpol.army.mil/ , there are also civilian tasks within the army you could perform.

You know, i just realised, what you are up against here isn't the militairy, its just an immense wall of bureaucracy.It acts as a thick borderline between the public and the army, If you manage to get your papers in proper shape you could give it another try to cross this thick border, and somehow conceal this flat feet problems of yours, you'll have a higher chance of being able to join the militairy if you get to be able to let someone examine you who 'cares less' about the whole flat feet problem. At least 1 'understanding' medical officer should be able to wave the problem into the wind. I talked to the recruiters, they said that surgeon in command usually throws all flat feet problems as 'non important' unless the person in themselves experience pain from the flat feet.

You don't, so give it another try, preferably not by DoBMERB but hopefully another medical station that could supply you with the 'all clear' medical waiver, that is needed to join the militairy.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  18. Drifter87

It was my podiatrist who wrote my letter for the waiver and I guess he fucked me over saying I need orthotics to walk, but I don't, I walk fine without them and run!

I guess over this summer I will get a second opinion from another doctor and reapply for another waiver.