Update on my high BP...also, how does pulse rate relate to BP???

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by 6SpeedTA95, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

Hey guys here's an update and a question or two from me...

First of all how does pulse rate relate to BP? Looks like from what I've read if your pulse is elevated (ie just got done fast walking or jogging) your top number will be especially elevated, while the bottom number will change it will be minor in comparison. Is this generally true? I ask because I was walking extremely fast for a couple of minutes right up to the blood pressure machine to take my BP. I wasn't really even thinking, I was pretty much thinking dont be late for work (I was on lunch). Sat down at the machine with my pulse rate up in the low 90s and the number I got back was 161/87...well from what I've been reading with my pulse rate that high thats a fairly normal number...

My last reading on saturday was 136/78 which is getting closer to normal. Thoughts or suggestions at this point?

2. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

see your doctor

3. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

Already have, he's got me watching my sodium intake

edit: Also he said 140/90 isn't too high, but it bears keeping an eye on.

4. getjacked

getjacked Guest

generally: faster pulse, lower BP

n/m this, there really isn't any correlation.

5. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

That's what I always assumed too.

6. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

:ugh2:

7. 46&2

46&2 Self ******

There are soooooooo many factors that affect bp/pulse that you can't just generalize it.

8. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

Ok update guys, went by wally world after work took a reading 141/83...I went ahead and bought a BP monitor for the house...the results...

140/77
    136/76
    126/72
    130/65

9. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

140/90 would officially make you hypertensive. I'm sure he means reduce your sodium intake, monitor your bp, if it doesnt come down in a couple months, phone and make another appt.

10. edd91

edd91 rebmeM weN

Well since blood pressure is the pressure against the arterial walls, if your heart pumps faster, there is less time for the pressure to drop between beats so you'll have a higher background pressure

11. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

Yeah my doctor said its not a big deal, that it's borderline hyperT but that 5 years ago I would just be considered high, plus there's the fact that reading was taken at a dentist office. So far it looks like its either coming down or that reading at least for the bottom number was on the high side.

edit: yes he said monitor my sodium intake I was up around 6000 to 8000mg's/day. I'm also drinking about 120oz' or more of water each day now.

12. getjacked

getjacked Guest

stfu dude, seriously.. just go run off a bridge with your hands tied together, no one will miss you

13. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

your readings are high, you should be careful.

14. LancerV

15. Hondamts

Hondamts Member

the higher your pulse the higher the BP, because generally cardiac output = hr x sv and blood pressure = CO x R...anyways a new medical study says that 140/90 is the new marker for hypertension, and anything over 120/80 is pre-hypertensive, depending on how old you are you might as well take a water pill...sorry for the rambling

16. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

Most of those bottom numbers aren't high though, thats whats so wierd to me...

whats a water pill?

edit: I'm 24 just for the record...

17. LancerV

Its just isolated systolic hypertension, which is pretty common, go see a doctor!

18. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

Read the post, I already have talked to my doctor, several times in fact...Do you have any tips or suggestions? I'm up to about 40 mins a day of cardio, the doctor said keeping my pulse above 120bpm for 20 mins is crucial, and I think i'm closer to 30mins a day of > 120bpm
    edit: its only been that much cardio for about a week before that it was about 20 mins and for about 5 weeks, so I wonder if another 3 months of good exercise will fix me up?

19. LancerV

I would throw in some Fish Oil and a new doctor

20. getjacked

getjacked Guest

21. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

The funny thing though, is that you thought there WAS correlation at first, and spouted it out before you researched it....totally discrediting you as a reliable source of information for any and all future topics in OT F&N. :run:

22. getjacked

getjacked Guest

darn, well please don't take advice from me - it might just break my heart

23. etech

etech New Member

Magnesium and blood pressure
    "Epidemiologic evidence suggests that magnesium may play an important role in regulating blood pressure [4]." Diets that provide plenty of fruits and vegetables, which are good sources of potassium and magnesium, are consistently associated with lower blood pressure [31-33]. The DASH study (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension), a human clinical trial, suggested that high blood pressure could be significantly lowered by a diet that emphasizes fruits, vegetables, and low fat dairy foods. Such a diet will be high in magnesium, potassium, and calcium, and low in sodium and fat [34-36].

An observational study examined the effect of various nutritional factors on incidence of high blood pressure in over 30,000 US male health professionals. After four years of follow-up, it was found that a lower risk of hypertension was associated with dietary patterns that provided more magnesium, potassium, and dietary fiber [37]. For 6 years, the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study followed approximately 8,000 men and women who were initially free of hypertension. In this study, the risk of developing hypertension decreased as dietary magnesium intake increased in women, but not in men [38].

Foods high in magnesium are frequently high in potassium and dietary fiber. This makes it difficult to evaluate the independent effect of magnesium on blood pressure. However, newer scientific evidence from DASH clinical trials is strong enough that the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure states that diets that provide plenty of magnesium are positive lifestyle modifications for individuals with hypertension. This group recommends the DASH diet as a beneficial eating plan for people with hypertension and for those with "prehypertension" who desire to prevent high blood pressure [39-41].

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium.asp

24. Hondamts

Hondamts Member

A water pill is called Hydrochlorathiazide, it's just a really weak diuretic and most likely you would get the smallest dose. Would help you lose some water weight, but some people, very rarely can get some side effects like rash, hypercalcemia, etc..

25. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

Why am I starting to get the impression you dont know what your talking about???

I have some fish oil started taking it about 5 days ago...

As for getting a new doctor why would I want to do that? Seems downright stupid actually...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.