A&P Update on G10 and DSLR question

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Kenny Dalglish, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

First off I wanted to say thanks for all your input regarding my g10 purchase. I am having fun with it and trying to take a couple of pictures everyday to and from work to try to put into use my new knowledge of the 3 elements that make up exposure.. I will share some pics in the near future for some guidance.. also just a quick question regarding shutter speed.. If i want it to set it to a very long shutter shot how can I make it so the picture isn't killed with bright light? Even with aperture at its smallest and iso all the way down it can get very bright. Also I am thinking or purchasing a cheap 30 dollar tripod.. is this recommended or should I not be cheap?

And my DSLR question.. What is the main difference between DSLR cameras.. From what i've read it seems like the lenses you own might be more important than the actual camera? Is it worth it to get a cheap DSLR and spend on lenses or is it worth it to spend more on the camera? Not buying a DSLR anytime soon but just wondering.

2. Kenny Dalglish

Oh and thanks for not running a newb out of here!

3. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

since you aren't holding up a bigger heavier camera, you could get by with a cheaper tripod, but it won't be as sturdy as a heavier duty/better one.

as far as long shutter speed photos go, look into some neutral density filters. they basically are like sunglasses for your camera, allowing you to use a much longer shutter speed than would normally be possible.

4. Bloke

Bloke Banned

i think the lens depends on the subject. the 2 ones that really stand out to me are portraiture and nature photography. you usually use a long tele on nature photos, so you dont want a point and shoot there. and for portraits most people for some reason love to use lots of lens speed for background seperation, depending on thier style of course.

as always your mileage may vary as people have plenty of ingenuity and there are many approaches to the same task.

5. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

:werd: though it may be worth your while to pick up a better tripod now, instead of having a shitty one now, and need one with more stank later on when you get into the big cameras. I don't know if the PnS can rock with the filters, so if you're still running into those issues with your f/stop maxed, and iso tooled to the bottom, then your only other option will be to step up the shutter speed.

As far as your DSLR question: Spending huge on great lenses, with cheap bodies will be your better bet. Megapixel count isn't as important as sharp glass. If you're looking at it from that perspective, it may be a good idea to pick the lenses you want to rock, then buy a body that fits in with those selections until you hit your budget cap. A rebel can be fun, but it won't suffer much abuse.. same thing with the low end Nikons. Though good glass mounted on cheap bodies can still result in stunning photographs. Even the cheapest rebel has the semi/auto modes, as well as the av, tv, A-Dep, and Manual modes; everything you need to take control of your camera at the basics.

6. Kenny Dalglish

thanks for the advice.. any recommendations on decent tripods I can carry in my backpack?

7. Drunken Karnie Midget

couldn't say myself... but i'm sure the word "manfrotto" is likely to come up from some of our peers.

8. johan

johan Active Member

looks like the min aperture is f/8, so you could try the ND function. Gives you another three stops down.

If you want to get really creative with your photography, I'd say some sort of dslr is in your future.

9. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Gorillia Pod should be fine for a P&S.

10. Kenny Dalglish

i am almost regretting not getting a dslr.. but i think i still made the right decision.. i think this is something that if i stick with for a while i will invest in a dslr..

also to be honest i was definitely intimidated by a dslr but after doing some research i feel kinda dumb because it seems like you can make it as easy or as involved as you want it to be.

11. Kenny Dalglish

12. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

buy a 20d. dont waste your money on teh XTI or XT series, since a XXd body can be had for just as much.

13. Bloke

Bloke Banned

i think you can get away with what you have for a good while

14. BabelJoat

BabelJoat New Member

Also for long exposure, remember to keep the iso as low as possible. It allows you take longer exposures and keeps the noise down that typically comes with long exposures.

15. johan

johan Active Member

My G10 is cool in that you have a lot of manual control options, but its not as convenient as a dslr.

And the main issue would be lens choices. I know you can actually get lenses for the G10, but I'd say don't bother.

Unless you have a single specific application like underwater, you should start down the dslr path when you want to get into funky situations where the G10 is either too cumbersome, or just doesn't have the glass to make the shot.

but agree with the other guy, just shoot the g10 for a while.

16. Drunken Karnie Midget