GUN update on Friends Self Defense trial.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 007, Jan 31, 2007.

1. 007

007 Riden, sliden, whipin and dippin, my chrome strips

Attorney says man shot in self-defense
    Trial - Steve Lindsey argues the shooting victim, Derek Rew, told Matthew S. Lisicki, "You're going to die" Tuesday, January 30, 2007AIMEE GREEN
    A 27-year-old man who shot his best friend to death believed the man was capable of killing him because he had bragged about killing two other people, a defense attorney told a judge Monday.

Defense attorney Steve Lindsey argued that Derek B. Rew punched Matthew S. Lisicki in the face and threatened to kill him the April 2004 night Lisicki shot Rew to death in self-defense.

Monday was the opening day of Lisicki's trial on murder with a firearm charges before Multnomah County Circuit Judge Linda Bergman. The defense waived a jury trial and Bergman will decide the case.

Rew, 21, was reportedly in a drunken rage because Lisicki, then 24, failed to defend him when women at a party ridiculed his gangsta-style hair and fake diamond earrings.

"Derek Rew was out of control," Lindsey said. "He said, . . .'You're going to die.' "

Lisicki was charged with murder the next day.

Deputy District Attorney Kirsten Snowden, however, said that she would prove with "overwhelming evidence" that Lisicki didn't fear for his life the night he put five bullets into the chest of his best friend, piercing his heart, lungs and spine. Rew died almost instantly.

Snowden didn't talk about a motive. But she pointed out that Lisicki was the only witness to the shooting, which occurred in the apartment that the two men shared near Interstate 205 and Southeast 102nd Avenue. Lisicki's word, Snowden contended, couldn't be trusted.

Lisicki sat quietly and expressionless in a tie and black pin-striped suit for most of Monday's proceedings. Lisicki has been out of jail on $250,000 bail. His mother and father, Tom Lisicki, president and CEO of Stash Tea in Tigard, watched from the audience. Rew's family also sat in on the first day of the trial, as did a representative from Parents of Murdered Children.

Lisicki, who according to his Oregon driver's license, is 6-foot-1 and weighs 190 pounds, had many reasons to be scared of his friend, said defense attorney Lindsey. He described Rew as an intimidating and athletic figure at 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds. Lindsey said Rew had claimed that he could kill a person with his bare hands, and he'd also talked about killing two people in Tacoma.

Rew had consumed more alcohol than Lisicki "had ever seen him drink before" the night of the shooting, Lindsey said. He was so furious at Lisicki that night that he punched Lisicki's dashboard and cracked it, heaved around a 58-pound concrete ashtray and started pummeling cars, the attorney said.

Lindsey said defense experts would testify that all of the bullets Lisicki shot at Rew were fired upward, as if Lisicki was on the floor looking up at Rew.

While the defense painted Rew as the violent aggressor, prosecutor Snowden said both men lived a violent, gansta-rapper lifestyle. The two had met in an online chatroom about gansta rap, and they listened to, wrote and produced music about guns and violence, Snowden said.

"Mr. Lisicki liked guns," Snowden said. "In fact, he had a full-sized human target with bullet holes in his bedroom."

The trial is expected to last into next week.

Aimee Green:503-294-5119; [email protected]

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregonian/stories/index.ssf?/base/news/117013112895050.xml&coll=7

2. sprite

sprite Active Member

What did I miss? This Lisicki dude a friend of yours?

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

West coast tea cartel represent yo.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

They both sounds like idiots

5. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

so are they wiggers or what?

6. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

with out more details, sounds like he wasn't defending himself to me....:dunno: sounds to me like they were both drunk and pissed at each other, and one had a gun.

7. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

This guy is your friend? :rofl: So, you like hanging out with gangsta rappers? :bowrofl:

Sounds like the judge is going to send him off to prison.

8. 007

He isnt a "gangster" rapper, he is in the music buisness, somebody threw a 58 pound ash tray threw a plate glass window, forced his way into his apartment, and started beating him, yelling "im gonna kill you", he landed 2 square punches, and Mathew was about to pass out, and produced a .45 that he had a legal CC for, and shot 5 shots as he was falling to the ground, he was so dazed, he also cut his hand on the slide.

9. 007

where does it say the shooter was drunk? he was 100% sober, also waited around for 45 minutes for the police to show up.

10. Small Block LSX

Ok, the article states your friend met his other homie in an online chatroom for gangsta rap. It then says they met up to make music talking about guns and violence.

It states that his friend was upset with him that his "homie" didn't back him up when a chick made fun of his hair and fake diamonds. :mamoru: It doesn't say anything in the article about firced entry or any sort of beating. It states that the friend said, "Im going to kill you" and then he was shot.

Sorry, but your friend is going to prison.

11. Small Block LSX

Read the article dude.

Consumed "more alcohol than" suggests they were both drinking.

12. Small Block LSX

Ok, let me clarify....

In the music business where he meets friends in a chatroom talking about ganster rap. He also produced music that spoke about guns and violence. Sounds like a rapper to me, amirite?

So, this means someone should be shot for throwing an ash tray? It states he damages cars with it...

Doesn't say this in the article.

13. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Z28, rereas it yourself, it clearly states that the man that had been shot was the one that had been drinking, it says nothing about the shooter (lisicki) drinking.

14. 007

Even if he was a gangster rapper, would that matter? does steven king get arrested for somebodys house being haunted? does martin scorsese get brought up on R.I.C.O charges?

15. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

He didn't drink at all at this party where others were drinking? And even if he was sober, why couldn't he defend himself against a drunk guy, his alleged best friend, without shooting him?

I'm not saying he was right or wrong in his actions, I'm just saying there seems to be a lot more to this story than what we've read.

16. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Can you even read?

17. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

because the "gangster rapper" image portrayed by those involved are of a violent type. This is why the defence waved the jury and risked going with a judge ruling instead. That's a BIG risk but less of a risk than having a jury already tainted by the culture your friend is involved in.

Now if horror book writers ran around doing drive bys and acting like gangsters then Steven King would have that same stygma over him. Since writers don't tend to act like retards though, he doesn't have to worry about it. There is definately alot more to this story than is being told though.

18. 007

usually responsible people dont drink and drive, the dead person had a history of voilence, and had bragged of murdering people before, he basicly decided to kill the victim because of he attacked a women who ridiculed him, throwing her up against the wall by her throat, and telling her he was gonna rape her. The aggressor had alot of mental problems. It seems the news paper isnt putting much other there to look not guilty.

19. 007

Mafia movies images are voilent, so are horror movies, your make 0 sense.

20. 007

Deputy District Attorney Kirsten Snowden, however, said that she would prove with "overwhelming evidence" that Lisicki didn't fear for his life the night he put five bullets into the chest of his best friend, piercing his heart, lungs and spine. Rew died almost instantly.

sounds like excellent marksmenship to me.

21. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

sorry you can't understand how image reflects on a person in a trial. Your friend is probably learning about it right now though.

22. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

You have no idea what you're talking about. That made perfect sense. Any competent prosecutor would have have painted the gangsta-rapper picture, and the defense attorney did what he needed to do to avoid that. Juries tend to be emotional, and judges tend (emphasis on tend) to be more rational.

It doesn't matter whether or not your friend was actually violent, was a rapper, whether movies are a bad influence or any of that bullshit. What matters is what you can convince a jury to believe. And let me assure you, a jury would have been made to see your "friend" in an extremely negative light.

23. 007

How many trials have you been threw?

24. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

Shut up already. He's absolutely right. Have you ever been on an actual jury? Or had any criminal law/justice instruction? I've done both, and the image the jury has of the defendant is EXTREMELY significant. I've seen what people do once they get to the deliberation room, and it doesn't take much to influence a verdict based on that image.

25. 007

He is a white college educated white guy lol, oh noes!