MIL Update: Just Came Back from Recruiter Meeting

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Kafka, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Kafka

Kafka New Member

Hey guys,

Some of you may have read my thread about trying to get into MI or Psy Ops as an Officer. :wavey:

Anyway, I went to the officer selection recruiter today, it was only 10 miles away from work and school so no biggie just left early.

I gotta say, everyone was very polite and informative (although they obviously have to be to fill their quotas), but I came back with a favorable impression.

I was discussing MI or Psy Ops with the recruiter I was originally assigned to, but after discussing the Psy Ops, he actually believed I'd be more of a fit for the Reserves if that's what I really wanted. (Which actually corresponds to what a lot of you guys have told me as well so I was pleased).

Anyway, I talked to the Reserve recruiter right after that. I gotta say she worked pretty hard for me. She made 3-4 calls right in front of me to the senior officers of the branches I was interested in (Psy Ops, Civil Affairs, and MI) and she got favorable answers from all of them when they learned of my qualifications and linguistic background.

Anyway, she said that she wanted to get me an official letter from the commanding officer of each unit that I was contemplating getting into in each branch saying that they have openings and they want me there.

Of course she said at the very end it's the decision of "MEPS" (sp?) that makes the final call so that's why 3 letters for three different branches would be extremely helpful, in case I don't get my first choice.

Anyway, I haven't made any commitments yet but I think Army Reserve is the right option for me considering I still want a civilian lifestyle for the most part but also want to gain military experience and attend OCS and Additional Training.

Do you guys have any advice? Do you guys think I should keep my appointments with the recruiters in other services like the Navy and AF?

Thanks for all your help thus far.

2. Kafka

Kafka New Member

Oh, and I'm aware of the chances of being deployed and such but I've made my peace with that. I'm ready to serve my country. Besides, my work can't fire me for it so :fawk:

3. Julius

Julius Guest

Can't... but there are ways to circumvent that. Be careful.

4. burn__

burn__ New Member

meps has nothing to say about officer branching. if you go through OCS it all depends on the allocation numbers your class gets and what spot on the OML you are. (this is for the army BTW)

5. Mr. Monopoly

Mr. Monopoly OT Supporter

:werd: At our MEPS, they didn't have a clue what to do with officer candidates or selects. Congrats Kafka, and good luck. It's a long road.

6. burn__

burn__ New Member

if youre really considering the officer route, get a packet list from your recruiter or somewhere online. its a list of what all you need in your acceptance packet for OCS. its like 5 letters of rec, personal narrative, security checks, etc. its a lot more than you need for a basic enlistment packet. then you have to "interview" at a board of 3-4 officers so they can see for themselves if you should be an officer or not. mine was the battalion XO and 2 captains. its a fairly lengthy process if your recruiter has never done an OCS packet before.

7. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

Good follow up. Are they going to have your branch listed in your contract before you sign? I assume in the reserves you already know what unit you're going into when you join?

8. Mr. Monopoly

About a year long. Visit this place. http://armyocs.com/ <-- Their Air Force counterpart is awesome, and I've heard nothing but good from the Army side too.

9. burn__

burn__ New Member

my process took about 9 months or so. i was my recruiter's first OCS packet so it took awhile.

10. Off

Off Memento Mori

:bigthumb: on your choices bro

11. Kafka

Kafka New Member

Hey man, I just got a list of all required docs for a standard OCS pack, it's not as bad as you think. recruiter gave me everything i needed.

1. full photo of you from head to toe, dressed well (suit)
    2. transcripts from highschool, college, and grad school
    3. it's a 3 officer panel interview actually
    4. personal narrative (1 page handwritten, then type that up as well)
    5. resume
    6. 3 letters of recs

My recruiter said i could be good to go in a matter of a month and some weeks, but then again she was specialized in officer selection so that probably helped her somewhat.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  12. Kafka

Kafka New Member

Yes, they will. That's why she said the Reserves were a better fit for me if I really wanted the branch of my choosing.

13. Kafka

Kafka New Member

See this is the thing and maybe you can help me.

She said, if i was active duty, it would be dependent on OML

However, as a Reservist, I can actually choose my branch.

Of course I'll also strive my best during OCS.

14. Kafka

Kafka New Member

After reading more about Civil Affairs I'm kind of excited to see that commanding officer's letter and if he wants, also have an interview with him.

I chose MI, Psy Ops, and Civil Affairs because they seem the most conducive to adding to my resume skills and using my education and linguistic skills. :hs:

I couldn't have been half as informed as I was without you guys at the Barracks so thanks bros :bowdown:

15. burn__

burn__ New Member

i did the process last year and it wasnt bad, just took a bit of time. i also had to get a waiver that took forever to get approved.

16. burn__

burn__ New Member

OCS doesnt branch civil affairs

17. CRXican

CRXican God Loves Ugly

Good info. I'm in the hiring process for a local PD but if that doesn't work out I've been giving some thought to OCS since I have a bachelors already. It will be annoying to start another 9-12 month hiring process but oh well, the economy sucks.

What made you lean towards Army and what exactly does Civil Affairs involve?

18. Kafka

Kafka New Member

OCS doesn't, but once i complete my OCS i'll likely be sent to my reserve unit for civil affairs training.

i'm still in the learning process for all of this so if you think i might've gotten some wrong info from my recruiter please let me know :o

19. Kafka

Kafka New Member

Well, I'm still in the decision making process, haven't made any commitments yet. I see a Navy reserve recruiter next week but so far the Army left a favorable impression.

The Army obviously has the most diverse branches and I wanted that because I have a diverse background and knowledge. For example, the Navy or the AF doesn't have a civil affairs branch nor do they have psy ops....two branches I really liked.

The senior officer my recruiter spoke with immediately faxed over a letter explaining what Civil Affairs is, he sounded like he really desired someone with my qualifications in my reserve unit so i'm hoping it wasn't just hot air....i'll just list some excerpts from his paper for you:

"civil affairs units support military commanders by working with civil authorities and civilian populations in the commander's area of operations....."

"....they locate civilian resources to support military operations, help minimize civilian interference with operations, support national assistance activities, plan and execute noncombatant evacuation, support counterdrug operations and maintain liason with NGO's and aid agencies"

"in support of special operations, these culturally oriented, linguistically capable soldiers may also be tasked to provide functional expertise for foreign internal defense ops, conventional warfare ops, and direct action missions"

20. burn__

burn__ New Member

if your recruiter has done ocs packets before then youll be good. theres a lot of little nuances that they just have to know from past experiences.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  21. Mr. Monopoly

:werd: I was so glad I was my recruiter's second. He knew what was going on. Just disappeared a lot.

22. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

For whichever route you decide to go make sure you know the application and selection process. My recruiter worked really hard to put my WOFT packet together with me but hadn't ever done one before and wasn't completely sure how to do it. Probably would not have gone so smoothly had I not known exactly how it was supposed to go.

Some recruiters don't know how some processes work, and some want to mislead you so they can do less work and get an easy enlistment instead of putting together a packet. Knowing what you want and how to get it is pretty key.

Get ready for some fun in SERE-C if you branch Psyops or CA.

23. Kafka

Kafka New Member

i just looked it up :eek3:

see that's one of the reasons i also like psy ops and CA, you can get opportunities to become expert at certain languages, do airborne training, halo jumping, and sere :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

24. Kafka

Kafka New Member

i really shouldn't :bowdown: at SERE, i think i'll be scarred for life

25. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

It isn't that awful. Some things suck about it but it is really good training.