upconversion?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by squid, Jul 29, 2008.

1. squid

squid braap

Am I hearing correctly that upconversion (from a 480 dvd to 720 or 1080 output) can only happen over HDMI? Or can it happen with component cables as well?

I have a projector that only accepts component cable input and a Yamaha receiver which can't translate signals from HDMI to component or vice-versa. Am I SOL as far as upconverting dvd players?

2. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Some can, some can't, due to HDCP and other random shit.

LG LDA 531, for example, did in the first release. Future revisions added the HDCP shit.

Samsung HD 841/950s can still do it, with a bit of work.

Turn on the TV, and then the DVD player - with the tray empty, and closed. Hit Angle on the remote, and then 4-3-2-7, and then angle again. You should get an HDCP Free message. Then, hit HDMI Sel until it cycles through properly to 720p or 1080i.

3. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

My el cheapo LG DVD player upconverts over component but it doesn't help that much with picture.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

my old dvd player will upconvert over component...although it was one of the first ones that had the ability, likewise it doesn't look all that great

i got a nice phillips that upconverts over hdmi, looks amazing

5. squid

squid braap

I just got a PS3, how is that for upconverting?

6. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

upconversion really only makes a difference for something with a fixed pixel display, like plasma or lcd.

Also, if you have a really high end TV, it probably has a good internal scaler, so you wouldn't notice a difference.

I switched from component video to the VGA cable for my 360, which allows it to upconvert DVDs, and I noticed a difference.

7. squid

squid braap

I've been using my 360 for viewing dvds as well because the picture is better than my DVD player. The 360 is definitely not upconverting videos, everything is in 480 while games are output in 1080.

I have a weird situation in that my projector only accepts component inputs and my receiver can downconvert (hdmi to component) but not upconvert (hdmi to component). Maybe I can experiment with an s-video cable. Standard DVDs kind of look crappy.