SRS Up In Smoke - Helpful Advice Please? (Again!)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by A-Nonny-Muss, Sep 5, 2007.

1. A-Nonny-Muss

A-Nonny-Muss New Member

I may regret this thread but here goes anyway......

I suffer from insomnia.

I think the insomnia is a syptom of smoking 'silly' cigarettes for way too long. The problem is that I want to give up and find it way too hard.

Now don't get me wrong: I'm not asking for any help or sympathy. I am just hoping some members have got some first hand experience (or relevant experience) that they can share in the form of advice.

It has taken a lot of courage to be this open so I hope you can respect that!

I went to my doctor and told him of my concerns. His response? He said that in all his years nobody had every come to him with this same problem and that he didn't know how to help me (or what advice to give). I joked that it was probably because they couldn't be bothered!

I have a friend who is an alcoholic and he is trying to give up. He has worse problems than me but some are similar! Now most people have heard of the DT's (Delirium tremens is a severe form of alcohol withdrawal that involves sudden and severe mental or neurological changes.), but have many heard of the symptons in other addicts? To some it is common knowledge that 'puff/weed' can cause mood swings. But when I try to give up I get a milder form of the DT's. It's like I have depression when I don't smoke (sort of but not quite!)

I am finding this situation very frustrating and really don't quite know what to do.

I have tried many ways over the years :-/

If for any reason a child is reading this: Don't start smoking ANYTHING - it's just not worth it in my opinion.

EDIT: I did post this elsewhere and was a little surprised by the response (Mainly 11 year olds I think!) - I am hoping this will be the correct place.

I see that others have posted similar threads - I'm off to read them so I am sorry if I don't reply for a while.............

2. buninader

buninader SMILE!!! I just got ******!!!

i have been through withdrawls, from a number of substances. none were pleasant. weed was difficult because i always classified it as a non addictive drug, yet i was still feeling the withdrawl. DT's can be lethal. they can come from benzo and alcohol withdrawl. you will not have dt's from weed withdrawl. this is not to say that the withdrawl will be pleasant, but there are no seriouis health risks.

Right now it is going to be difficult. the first two weeks were pretty hard. I had the same problem with sleeping. This will pass. The best thing you can do is get really involved in something, like and old hobby, and start exercising. this will help bring your brain back quicker.

If staying stopped becomes imppossible, or when you smoke you have little control over the amount you take in, you probly have a problem that may require a little more attention. in that case i would recomend some sort of 12 step program.

hoped this helped.

3. A-Nonny-Muss

A-Nonny-Muss New Member

Many thanks for your comments. I'm not really sure what the 12 step programme is but I will look into it :)

A week ago I tried 'cold turkey' (for the first time in years) but I snapped on the first day and had two smokes at 10pm. I then didn't smoke for a day and a half before having one to help me sleep. This may sound like nothing but for me to cut down to that amount was a major achievement. I have smoked for nearly two decades and have rarely had that little! I am taking one day at a time.........

4. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

12 step programs were started for the exact reasons you are experiencing. Its a struggle that non-addicts/alcoholics cannot understand

5. Rolledsho

Rolledsho New Member

Are you asking for advice on insomnia or to quit smoking weed :dunno:

6. A-Nonny-Muss

A-Nonny-Muss New Member

It's not really about insomnia......

7. i killed tupac

is that what you use to marijuana for? is it valid or is that what you tell yourself?

8. mkorsu

mkorsu New Member

12 step program is something like AA, NA, etc.

9. SoD

SoD New Member

I first started using Marijuanna to recycle my sleep scheduels from working funky shifts.

Now I cant sleep without, If i try and sleep sober my mind just keeps going and going.

10. i killed tupac

that goes away after a few months